Menu

Those with pet mice- how do you 'play' with them?

My dd has had her pet mice for two weeks; they are about 7 weeks old. She takes them out everyday, but isn't really sure how to play with them. Any suggestions? Right now (after she takes them out of their tank), we put them in a clear plastic bin with a couple toys; they play and she lets them crawl into her hand. She's scared to let them run up her arm; she's afraid they might escape. Will they??

I usually sit with her and hold the mice, let them crawl on me, try to pet them etc. They do to seem to like being handled; they actively seek out our hands to climb onto. But even I am not sure whether they would stay with us, or try to escape.

In their regular tank- they have an igloo, a wheel, toilet paper rolls, and a dollhouse play structure (stairs and slide). In the plastic bin they again have toilet paper rolls, a small doll bed turned on its end (so they can climb up the side and sit in the little bed/hammock area), a couple wooden blocks. And then she has an exercise ball for them that she puts them in for about 10 minutes each.

However, it seems kind of boring day after day and I'm not sure if it's enough for them.

Any suggestions? both on how to play with them? toys for them? and how to figure out how much freedom to give them? Is once a day enough to play with them? It's usually for 20-30 minutes.

Thanks!

that sounds so cute! were they in a big cage or box when she played house with them? or just in the playroom? I'm trying to figure out if they'll try to escape or stay with us!

my dd played "house" with them. :lol::lol::lol:She had a house she built of legos, a little stroller she'd push them around in, a crib she'd put them to sleep in (and they actually slept!) a little table she'd put small bits of food on, etc. :lol: It was so cute to watch!

In my experience, you can't do much to play with mice. You can get them used to being held if you're persistent, but most mice are just too jumpy to make good pets. They're lots of fun to watch when they're in their cages, especially if you have a bunch together, but if you're looking for fun, trainable rodents, you might want to consider rats. They make wonderful pets, and are about as smart as dogs.

They will escape, and they can get stuck in the cushions of the couch lol. My dd loves to play with her hamster, and he seems to enjoy it. He used to be very cautious, but as of late he has taken to jumping off of things. I think he thinks she will always be able to catch him. He is a year old, so he has been with her a long time.

that sounds so cute! were they in a big cage or box when she played house with them? or just in the playroom? I'm trying to figure out if they'll try to escape or stay with us!

they played in the houses dd' built for them. It was amazing that they loved going for the little rides in the stroller, etc. I think they liked being handled.:001_smile: