Menu

Backyard died in the drought. Where to begin in the spring?

Our backyard is sad and dead after the drought in TX this year. Will it come back? Will we need to kill it and start over? Till it up and lay down grass squares? Do nothing to the what's there and just put out grass squares and allow it to re-grow? Can we do something in the fall/winter to help it out in the spring? What is our next step? We've never had to do this before. Ideas? Advice? Expertise? All is welcome!

A lot will depend on how our winter goes. Drought AND super cold is bad. Wet (rain, snow, ice) is good and will help no matter how cold it is.

My DFW Texas yard is sad, sad, sad--and I'm a gardener. This drought hurts. I'll wait and see what the damage is come spring...if necessary, we'll scatter seed in parts of the yard. Up next to the back porch, I'll till, rake smooth, and lay some sod. Then we'll water and fertilize any parts of the yard that shows life.

If you have the ability to water some, that will keep your trees, shrubs, and grass roots alive. Just a drink now and then helps. Do this as much as possible during the weeks between now and May.

I'm also praying for rain!

Sorry I don't know Texas grass advice specifically, but generally fall is the best time to grow grass if you are trying to improve or put in a new lawn. Spring doesn't work as well because of all of the weed seeds that infiltrate. Maybe you could do some research or ask at a garden/lawn center in your area about starting/improving a lawn in the fall.

Melbourne has been in a drought for 10 years, which broke about a year ago. We are not allowed to water lawns as it is not good use of precious water supplies. Every summer our lawn died and was just dust and brown stalks, and every time it rained, it would be green again within a remarkably short time. Grass seems very resiliant.

A lot of people got sick of dead grass lawns and either replaced them with artificial turf, or did the low water landscaping as per JFS in IL's post.

I assume you still can't water?

What I would do, if you can, is bed the whole thing covered in peat moss and then water that whenever you can. Any moisture you can get on it, naturally or otherwise, will help and the peat moss will hold in the moisture as well as shade it from further sunburning and erosion. If you think you might be able to water it and maintain some moisture through the winter you can throw some grass seed on before you put on the peat and let it all fester through the winter. The peat will filter down to the soil by spring and condition the soil and the grass will happily grow up through it-if the peat is real deep just lightly rake it in the spring and start breaking it up so that grass can come through. The grass roots are still alive but they need some protection and any moisture you can give them, even an inch a month with the peat on top will keep it going.

Find a way to landscape like they do in Vegas - colored stones, plants that thrive in a desert environment, etc. Since Texas is in a severe drought and low on water, no grass, at least not water-hungry stuff. http://www.lowwaterlandscape.com/plants.html

The only real problem with that is not knowing whether our drought is a short term one or a decade long one. In my area, flood is every bit as common as drought.

In 2007, my acre got 40 inches of rain in a few short weeks. We were afloat and awash. I lost large shrubs because they drowned.

I've taken notes, both that year, this year, and all the years in between. I'm beginning to know which plants can handle both flood and drought with flair.

Carefully sited antique roses, crepe mrytles, daylilies, vitex, lirope, and zinnas are among the winners. Bermuda grass is a winner, but has to have water....I'm thinking more flowerbeds and less lawn.

Living in Texas ain't for sissies....

Melbourne has been in a drought for 10 years, which broke about a year ago. We are not allowed to water lawns as it is not good use of precious water supplies. Every summer our lawn died and was just dust and brown stalks, and every time it rained, it would be green again within a remarkably short time. Grass seems very resiliant.

A lot of people got sick of dead grass lawns and either replaced them with artificial turf, or did the low water landscaping as per JFS in IL's post.

:iagree:

Having lived in the Mojave Desert for 9 years, I can also attest that many types of grass are resilient to severe drought and heat.

We have lived in North TX with our lawn on restricted or no lawn watering for many summers. This summer was a doozy but your grass is not dead. Your grass just needs to be "air-rated" (rent a machine from Home Depot) for tiny dirt plugs to be taken out of the grass during the Fall. You may want to do fertilizer treatment too. Wait til spring and your grass will be healthy and green!

Find a way to landscape like they do in Vegas - colored stones, plants that thrive in a desert environment, etc. Since Texas is in a severe drought and low on water, no grass, at least not water-hungry stuff. http://www.lowwaterlandscape.com/plants.html

http://www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones/sunset-climate-zones-texas-00400000036339/

Try looking up USDA hardiness zones with this link on Sunset. You can xeriscape in TX. Look for drought tolerant plants using the guide also.

You can come to my house and take all the rain you want!

Wish I could. I'm on a well for my house and it's clear the water level has dropped a bunch. I really do like my indoor plumbing.

I'll send you my address so you can mail me some rain. :tongue_smilie:

If you had bermuda grass, it isn't dead. It's just joking. Nothing can kill it. :tongue_smilie:

If you had st. augustine, it may be dead but I wouldn't give up on it.

I have an area in our front yard that I plan on sodding in st. augustine this fall, just as soon as we get a few good rains. Fall is generally a better time to plant in Texas, but beware of your sources right now. Some of the nursery plants have been stuck in this drought in black nursery pots and won't be worth the time/money to plant.

Ours is dead too. I was spraying off a carseat last weekend and part of the water blew onto the grass....and blew the grass away, leaving bald dirt spots. I'm really worried that our grass is completely dead and won't come back this spring, but it's worth the sacrifice even if it is. I just can't imagine wasting the water on grass when people and animals need it so much.

They said on the news that there's another La Nina headed our way so it's going to be very little rain till Spring 2012. So I'm not doing anything for the grass yet and I'm not going to until this drought is over. We're praying for rain here too...