Menu

DD4 sleeps face down, with her head buried....should I worry?

We have a family bedroom and I'll wake in the middle of the night to see DD4 sleeping face down in the pillow, hands cupped around both sides of her face. I don't see how she gets any air! I'd feel like I'm suffocating. I always move her, but then she'll usually move back again.

I should just give up on moving her, right? It just worries me because I know that *I* would feel like I'm not getting enough air.

Well, the response to free one's airway is instinctive, so any child old enough to lift their own head should not be in danger. The body will tell the brain, "We need air!" and the child will move.

On the personal/mommy side, it would bother me very much, however. I have readjusted my son at night because he sometimes sleeps half hanging off the bed. (This is in his own bed, but I look in on him before I go to bed.)

At six months ds started rolling to the side of the crib and hugging the bumper over his face with hos thumb in his mouth. I would move him and he would go right back, we removed the bumper amd he could not sleep! The thumb in the mouth pushed everything away from hos nose, I checked on him constantly. At 10 months he just stopped, stopped sucking hos thumb and hugging the bumper.

I did forget to tell a new babysitter about his habit one time....she is a good friend and still laughs about calling her mom and moving him every 5 minutes until he woke up :001_smile:.

At that age she can definitely move if she needs air. Kids sleep in weird positions!