Menu

I'm planning menus. What are your favorite quick and easy meals?

Dh is out of town indefinitely for a family emergency. I never feel as apt to cook big dinners when he's not here. I'm worried about some extended family members and feeling stretched a little thin, and now I'm sitting here staring at a blank page trying to think what I want to cook this week so I can go buy groceries, and I find I don't even want to think about it. If this past week is any indication I'm looking for things like spaghetti with sauce from a jar, and scrambled eggs and toast. Minimal ingredients minimal time, minimal dishes.

Help?

Our new favorite is what we call "Mexican Pizza" with tortillas, spread with refried beans, topped with shredded cheese then put under the broiler for a few minutes until tortilla is slightly crispy. We then top it with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa & ranch. Takes very little energy or time to prepare...

Also, I've started buying frozen meatballs (which are already fully cooked, saves a step of cooking the ground beef), heating them up with cream of mushroom soup, add some sour cream, and then pour it over noodles.

Chicken Nuggets

Fish Sticks

Mac and Cheese

Pancakes

Tortilla or English Muffin Pizzas

Quesadillas

French Toast

Canned or frozen ravioli

Spaghettios

Chicken Alfredo (alfredo sauce out of the jar)

carrot and celery sticks (for sides with any of these and/or snacks)

apple slices (see above)

orange wedges (ditto)

All of these are out of my 10 and 12 year olds' lists of things they make for dinner, along with the spaghetti and the eggs and toast that you already mentioned.

Another favorite treat is Banquet TV dinners (usually $1 or less at Harmon's or Albertsons).

Bacon Cheesy Chicken

1/2 cup ranch

1/2 cup teriyaki

2 cups cheddar cheese

1 lb chicken.

Cook in crockpot until tender.

Serve over pasta, with bacon sprinkled on top.

Salsa Chicken

Puree one jar salsa in blender. Add to crockpot with 1 lb chicken. Cook until tender.

Mix with 2 cups cooked brown rice. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and pop under broiler until cheese melts.

Our new favorite is what we call "Mexican Pizza" with tortillas, spread with refried beans, topped with shredded cheese then put under the broiler for a few minutes until tortilla is slightly crispy. We then top it with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa & ranch. Takes very little energy or time to prepare...

Also, I've started buying frozen meatballs (which are already fully cooked, saves a step of cooking the ground beef), heating them up with cream of mushroom soup, add some sour cream, and then pour it over noodles.

Oh! Ds was asking the other day why it's been so long since we had "those noodles that look like masking tape"...lol...and I have a bag of frozen meatballs. That sounds easy.

Cook some rice, grill or stir-fry some chicken w seasonings, add some frozen veggies.

Taco seasonings and chicken or pork in the crockpot, then shred the meat and serve it with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, whatever you like, in tortillas.

Or just cook up some ground beef or turkey w taco seasonings for tacos or taco rice.

Breakfast for dinner- eggs, toast and fruit or sausage or bacon or whatever your preference.

7 layer burritos: layer canned refried beans, boxed spanish rice, shredded cheese, veggies of your choosing, sour cream and guac on a tortilla. Everyone builds their own.

Pasta w pesto from a jar

Frozen pizza

Tuna melts: put tuna and cheese slices on buns or english muffins and broil.

Tomato basil soup: blend a can of crushed tomatoes until smooth. Then simmer w fresh or dried basil, add some cream to taste. Eat w grilled cheese sandwiches.

Fish cooks quickly and you can just broil or bake it, serve it w brown rice and frozen veggies.

Refrigerated ravioli or tortellini. You can buy rotisserie chickens and make some meals out of that or precooked, grilled chicken and put it in wraps or in pasta w jarred alfredo sauce.

Maybe not ideal, but good enough when you're stretched thin and stressed out. It won't be forever. :grouphug:

Our new favorite:

Pork Roast... sometimes we make bbq sandwiches... sometimes we eat it plain.

1 pork roast

1 onion sliced

1 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce

2 cans of WHOLE cranberries

Throw it all in a crockpot and cook on low all day. I never time it, I put it on in the morning when I wake up and it's always perfect by dinner time.

Enjoy!

Our new favorite:

Pork Roast... sometimes we make bbq sandwiches... sometimes we eat it plain.

1 pork roast

1 onion sliced

1 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce

2 cans of WHOLE cranberries

Throw it all in a crockpot and cook on low all day. I never time it, I put it on in the morning when I wake up and it's always perfect by dinner time.

Enjoy!

Cranberries! I wouldn't have thought of it with bbq, but it sounds yummy. Now I want to have bought a roast. Maybe I'll get one to celebrate when dh comes home.

Italian chicken:

Chicken and spaghetti sauce in the crockpot

Spinach salad:

spinach

an apple

sunflower seeds

grapes

green onions

cucumber

cheese

protein: tuna, canned chicken, or hard-boiled eggs

Egg casserole:

eggs, stirred

spinach

cottage cheese

cooked sausage, bacon or ham (optional)

moz cheese

Mix all together and bake at 350 until done

Lentil soup in crock pot

FWIW, we do have eggs a lot. I despise cooking, so I'm all for easy, cheap and healthy!