Menu

Anyone doing CC Plus? Thoughts and impressions so far?

I rather reluctantly enrolled my very math- and science- oriented daughter in the dual enrollment American History program through Classical Conversations/Bryan College.

(Reluctantly because I fear she is not capable of decent high-school level writing, much less college level writing!)

We are only three weeks in to the program, and thus far I have mixed impressions. It's too early for me to say whether this is going to be a "hit" or "miss" for our family, but I'd love to hear what others are thinking at this point.

I will post a review at the end of the semester.

I can say already, that I'm convinced the program has great potential. I don't think it's fair to expect it to run like a well-oiled machine the very first semester.

This is our first year with CC and I alternate between overwhelmed and excited. I'm not sure we are a good fit with what I discern as the general "tone" of the program (and of Bryan College) because I'm a little to the left of conservative. ;) However, we do seem to be a good fit with at least two of the other challenge tutors (I am actually co-tutoring the American History with our wonderful Challenge 3 director); and my flaky, left-wing self is at the very least tolerated by the other directors. :) Giving up control was HARD for me; but I desperately need some accountability.

I'm excited for the potential of the program for my younger daughter, who is in Challenge A this year. I think by the time she gets to Challenge 3 and 4, the "plus" program could be of great benefit for her. At this point, she does not seem suited, emotionally or socially, to our local community college. (My older daughter can "hold her own" in pretty much any situation.)

Do you do this strictly through Bryan College, or do you attend CC in your area as well? We don't have any near us.

We are doing it through CC; however, you can enroll in dual enrollment courses directly through Bryan College! I had no idea, until we enrolled via CC. And of course, me being me, I rather chafed at the notion of using CC as a "middle man" for something that I could have done independently, but anyway. ;)

I can see advantages to both approaches. Doing it through CC Plus, I feel a bit as if I am "serving two masters" (as a parent and as a tutor; I think the students feel a bit the same -- when they hear me say "Now, your assignment for Bryan is due this day, and your assignment for me is due this day . . .") I think as the program develops it will be more streamlined. So in that sense, I think it would be so much easier to just enroll directly with Bryan. However, since we were doing CC *anyway* -- we do get the benefit of group discussion and moral support. In one of our seminars, we "brainstormed" together in preparation for the first Bryan assignment, and my students tell me that was tremendously helpful.

But no -- you do not need to be involved with CC in order to enroll in a dual enrollment class at Bryan College.

I must be confused. I thought that the dual enrollment with Bryan College was designed with 11th and 12th graders in mind. Are you saying you enrolled your 7th grader in it?

My 11th grader is the one in the dual enrollment class. I was saying that I am excited at the potential for the program to be fully developed and running smoothly by the time my now 7th grader reaches that point, as I don't think she is going to be especially well-suited to the local community college by age 16. Sorry for the confusion!

I just noticed that they require completing two years in CC before enrolling, so that's not an option for us since we don't have one in our area.

Bummer!

That only applies to the Classical Conversations Plus program; anyone can enroll in Bryan College dual enrollment classes. No connection with CC is required whatsoever.

Try this link:

http://www.bryan.edu/10974

Thanks!

While I'm sure you'll navigate the website just fine without my help, this page is actually much better:

http://www.bryan.edu/10969

I am very pleased with the people we've been working with at Bryan College so far -- I would certainly encourage you to check into it if you're interested! I think there could be a lot of advantages, actually, to working directly with Bryan as opposed to going through CC. Best wishes!

• 4 weeks later...