Menu

Those that have had or do have kids in braces

My ds just had spaces put in. He is to go next week to get his braces. Well one of the spaces has fallen out. I think he swallowed it because we can't find it.

What do I do for now? The office is closed and I don't feel like this is an emergency but I don't want to have to have him go another week with spacers and them falling out.

Is there an alternative that we can use?

BTW I called a drug store and they said they don't sell the rubber bands(spacers) because they are different gauges.

I would call them on Monday when the office opens. That happened to my son on a weekend too, and our practice's website addressed it as a non-emergency but something you should take care of on the next business day. Be aware that he might have to have the spacers on a little longer and move the braces appointment to a later date. Luckily this was not the case with ds, so it isn't a given. They should be able to tell you when you go to get another spacer put in.

If it just fell out, as opposed to being pulled out by a piece of gum or something, then the space between the teeth is now large enough. Just call Monday morning and ask the ortho. The space might close up between now and then, but I doubt it since it fell out just 3 hours after being placed. It sounds like that space was large enough already.