Menu

Did anyone here find it tough to watch "Temple Grandin"?

rafiki

It hit me that it's hard now because we're getting out of the "honey moon" stage where it was easier for DS to blend in because he seemed younger than he is, now he's obviously quirky and we either get stares or feel awkward and are in the stage where we wonder if we should be explaining our son or just growing tougher skin. He's not being rude, he just lives in our world differently than the majority.

-

:grouphug:

I cried during the plain old movie, and then I watched the version with the real Temple Grandin's commentary running the entire time and I cried some more.

I also cry during the documentaries about autism:

*The Horse Boy

*Autism: The Musical

Too close to home is right. :grouphug:

The only time I cried was when she was in the swing outside the school and her mother saw the girls laughing at her while Temple was in her own world and she almost bolted out the door to protect her child.

I've been there- done that. It was such a great movie and that moment really hit home for me. I admire Temple's mother so much - she had to fight everyone to keep her child out of an institution in an age where it was acceptable.

My ds and I watched together--he (11) kept saying "that's me" and "that's what I do"--it opened up a huge discussion about how different the inside of his brain is from other people's. He really related to "Thinking in Pictures," too, which we read together after watching the movie. He said if he wants to think in words he imagines them on a page in his mind, and reads them to himself. It was so enlightening to us both to discuss these differences between people. He had never really realized how differently he thinks from neurotypical peers. I also loved the movie for the honor it does to Temple Grandin's mother, and aunt, and science teacher--because it reminded me of the way we loving adults in our child's life can help them be all they are meant for.

I loved TG. The scenes where she was frightened pulled on my heartstrings, but you know what was most powerful for me? Her mother. When she faced down that doctor when Temple was diagnosed, I wanted to stand up and cheer (can you tell we haven't had much help from the medical community?). When she sat on the steps and persevered through teaching Temple to speak, I cried. And at the end, when Temple stood up and credited her success to her mother for pushing her and not accepting second best from her, I burst into sobs. I pray that my boys will be able to say that some day, and that all of *this* will pay off in the end.