Menu

Q. about supplementing with SM's CWP ...

eternalknot

We've used MUS from Alpha - Zeta (using currently).

I've read many good things about Singapore Math's CWP, and wish to supplement with those. We're doing okay with word problems, but I can see definite room for improvement and CWP seems to be the gold standard.

I'm not familiar at all with SM's bar method. I poked around the Internets a bit, and found some examples (totally confusing to me) but no real explanation of the method.

Q1: What would/could I purchase (in addition to the CWP workbook) to familiarize myself with the method?

Q2: Or, is there a link to a video/article that explains it in a Bar Method for Dummies sort of way?

Thanks for any guidance here :). I guess I could use the word problems without the bar method, but the method seemed to be the whole selling point.

Signed,

Math Stupid & Confruzed

Dd8 does CWP online weekly w/ a tutor from Cybershala.com. It's $10/hour which is a bargain for me since I had no idea how to teach the bar models. Dd7 & I sometimes watch the class from another computer so we are basically getting 3 lessons for the price of one. Rachna is happy to have me observe class, of course. Now I feel like a pro after watching Rachna teach Abi for the last year. She has grown mathematically in ways that I didn't know was possible -- and I attribute that largely to her time w/ Rachna w/ reinforcement & practice throughout the week. :)

HTH!

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo