Menu

Can I be ugly for a sec? MIL content.

Have you kindly and politely asked her WHY she won't let y'all use the tix? She needs to squirm to produce an answer...I would put all bitterness/anger/frustration aside and ask her..let her come up with the answer...

I would start it out with,

MIL, Dh and I were under the impression you said we could use the park tickets whenever we returned to Orlando, can you let me know why we can not use them?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that your dh should handle this with his mom. When there is conflict, the direct relation needs to step into the middle and work things out. He needs to call and find out why she's taken the tickets back, see if there's been a miscommunication or hurt feelings, and see if it can be worked out. If the trip is off, he needs to explain it to the kids.

The moral to this story, is never rely on your MIL for anything-ever. Always set yourselves up to be independent of her in all situations, that way if she flakes out on you, you won't be caught off guard. Assume she will fake out. From now on if you can't cover the tickets yourselves (even if she promised them to you) don't plan on going. Don't let her take the kids without one of you there. Don't ever believe anything she says-only believe what you see her do.

My husband's BIL has a brother. When their father was alive (before he murdered his girlfriend and then killed himself when his sons were in their mid-late 20s) he had a long history of substance abuse and promising things to his sons he rarely delivered on.

H's BIL took the practical analytical approach most of his life. He assumed everything his father said was BS and only believed what he saw. His expectations were that his father would be a liar, a cheat, an obnoxious braggart, and an all around scum bag. H's BIL never believed his father or relied on him for anything-ever. Nothing monetary and nothing emotional.

His younger brother took the dreamy, optimistic, wishful thinking approach. He actually believed what his father told him and was disappointed almost every time. Each new tale his father told the younger brother thought something along the lines of "Maybe this time dad will deliver what he said....." He was almost always wrong.

When word got back that their father was involved in the murder/suicide the younger brother was devastated. My H's BIL (older one) was hurt and sad but rebounded quickly. He had a realistic view of his father and realistic expectations to go with them. As a matter of fact, when his wife called him at work and said, "You need to get [your brother] and come home right now." His exact words were, "So my dad is dead? Was anyone else killed?" He expected a car accident.

The moral to this story, is never rely on your MIL for anything-ever. Always set yourselves up to be independent of her in all situations, that way if she flakes out on you, you won't be caught off guard. Assume she will fake out. From now on if you can't cover the tickets yourselves (even if she promised them to you) don't plan on going. Don't let her take the kids without one of you there. Don't ever believe anything she says-only believe what you see her do.

My husband's BIL has a brother. When their father was alive (before he murdered his girlfriend and then killed himself when his sons were in their mid-late 20s) he had a long history of substance abuse and promising things to his sons he rarely delivered on.

H's BIL took the practical analytical approach most of his life. He assumed everything his father said was BS and only believed what he saw. His expectations were that his father would be a liar, a cheat, an obnoxious braggart, and an all around scum bag. H's BIL never believed his father or relied on him for anything-ever. Nothing monetary and nothing emotional.

His younger brother took the dreamy, optimistic, wishful thinking approach. He actually believed what his father told him and was disappointed almost every time. Each new tale his father told the younger brother thought something along the lines of "Maybe this time dad will deliver what he said....." He was almost always wrong.

When word got back that their father was involved in the murder/suicide the younger brother was devastated. My H's BIL (older one) was hurt and sad but rebounded quickly. He had a realistic view of his father and realistic expectations to go with them. As a matter of fact, when his wife called him at work and said, "You need to get [your brother] and come home right now." His exact words were, "So my dad is dead? Was anyone else killed?" He expected a car accident.

Thank you for this. It does help enormously to have another perspective from which to look at things. It also puts things into perspective. If this man could deal with his father, someone he had every right to expect to be trustworthy and reliable, in such a mature, rational way, then maybe we with 'mean-in-laws' can do likewise. (In my case I like to think that I can forgive, I can even forget, but I'll never trust again, not even for a second).

Cassy