Menu

Is BJU Chem worth the price?

I am trying to find something really thorough for my daughter who wants to get into a pre-pharm program. I hear people talk about BJU Chemistry. Not sure if they are using the book as is or talking about the DVD class. Is it really 400 bucks? If so, is it worth it? I didn't take Chemistry in high school or college. Somehow I managed to dodge that bullet so I feel like I will be useless to help her.

I am trying to find something really thorough for my daughter who wants to get into a pre-pharm program. I hear people talk about BJU Chemistry. Not sure if they are using the book as is or talking about the DVD class. Is it really 400 bucks? If so, is it worth it? I didn't take Chemistry in high school or college. Somehow I managed to dodge that bullet so I feel like I will be useless to help her.

For us, yes, it is worth it.

Last year, my daughter used Apologia Chemistry and I facilitated a class at our local co-op where we completed the experiments. In said class, most of the students were using Apologia and one was using BJU Chemistry with the on-line option. Chemistry is not my strong suit, and when the students raised questions that their parents nor I could answer, the student in the class who was using BJU usually could explain it. We ended up dropping Apologia Chemistry mid-year and decided to use BJU Chemistry this year. So far it is going very well.

BTW, my husband is a pharmacist. I'll have him take a look at the course and see what he thinks. :)

For us, yes, it is worth it.

Last year, my daughter used Apologia Chemistry and I facilitated a class at our local co-op where we completed the experiments. In said class, most of the students were using Apologia and one was using BJU Chemistry with the on-line option. Chemistry is not my strong suit, and when the students raised questions that their parents nor I could answer, the student in the class who was using BJU usually could explain it. We ended up dropping Apologia Chemistry mid-year and decided to use BJU Chemistry this year. So far it is going very well.

BTW, my husband is a pharmacist. I'll have him take a look at the course and see what he thinks. :)

Are you using the video/DVD class or just the book? Thanks so much for the feedback!

We are using the book and the DVD option. I think Mr Harmon is a great teacher. I previewed many of the lessons and I like the way he presents the material. My daughter has only viewed the first week of lessons and thinks he is long-winded and goes off on rabbit trails, but I told her that it is a LINC class recording and he is not covering a lot of new material because some schools do not begin classes until after Labor Day.