Menu

Gross question about physiology

I have an honest question about the body's ability to 'burn' fat. Do the fat cells actually leave the body, or are they merely redistributed throughout? If they leave the body, do they go out though the intestinal track in the poop? Thanks for clearing this up for me. (I could get much more gross in the description, but I will spare you lol.)

I am not positive but I don't think that the cells go anywhere, they just shrink. The fat in the cell gets used up as energy and the cell shrinks when you work out. Hopefully someone more eloquent will chime in.

This is my understanding as well. That you don't lose the number of cells. Also, you cannot "turn fat into muscle" at the cellular level. You can increase the strength and size of muscle cells, and you can decrease the size of fat cells, but they are different things.

I. Do the fat cells actually leave the body,

I have apparently been watching way too much Dr. Who, because all I can think of now is Adipose. "The fat is walking!"

doctor-who-adipose-alien.jpg

But if you really want to know the answer, I also have always heard that they never go away, they just shrink (which is why it's so easy to regain weight - you don't have to make new cells, just reinflate the old ones :glare:)

Edited by matroyshka

Not without liposuction!!! ;)

True. I heard on the local news one evening that people who 'lost' fat in one area of their body with liposuction were apt to gain fat in another area. Gee, thanks Doc. They actually had a film...which was one of the most awful things I have ever seen done to someone. Ouch! :tongue_smilie:

I have apparently been watching way too much Dr. Who, because all I can think of now is Adipose. "The fat is walking!"

doctor-who-adipose-alien.jpg

But if you really want to know the answer, I also have always heard that they never go away, they just shrink (which is why it's so easy to regain weight - you don't have to make new cells, just reinflate the old ones :glare:)

double :glare:

True. I heard on the local news one evening that people who 'lost' fat in one area of their body with liposuction were apt to gain fat in another area. Gee, thanks Doc. They actually had a film...which was one of the most awful things I have ever seen done to someone. Ouch! :tongue_smilie:

Gack. I'm glad I was asleep, lol.

I had major surgery in March to remove/relocate a huge scar (from my ileostomy reversal surgery) on my abdomen. I had lipo as well as the abdominal muscle repair, etc. I figured that since the scar surgery involved a tummy tuck I might as well go all the way and get it done right (c-section, ileostomy, ileostomy reversal surgery, and 6 kids...yeah, my abdomen was a mess).

I haven't gained any fat back; my weight is steady at 125...and I look good in a bikini. Just sayin' :lol:

Fat cells remain as they expand and contract depending on whether you're burning fat or storing fat.

When you're "burning fat" for energy, you're liberating "free fatty acids" (FFA) from within the fat cell to use as energy.

When you're "storing fat", you're pushing free fatty acids (FAA) into the fat cell for storage.

Gack. I'm glad I was asleep, lol.

I had major surgery in March to remove/relocate a huge scar (from my ileostomy reversal surgery) on my abdomen. I had lipo as well as the abdominal muscle repair, etc. I figured that since the scar surgery involved a tummy tuck I might as well go all the way and get it done right (c-section, ileostomy, ileostomy reversal surgery, and 6 kids...yeah, my abdomen was a mess).

I haven't gained any fat back; my weight is steady at 125...and I look good in a bikini. Just sayin' :lol:

Jealous! I can't wait to have mine tummy tuck done. A few more years and about 45 more lbs to lose...sigh.