Menu

Facebook hacker?? Question about what to do now

So apparently my oldest dd was hacked. Somebody messaged her that "she" posted a video but luckily the person knew she would never have used the acronym used so they knew better and let us know. So we went to all her contacts and removed the video from the walls it was posted on. We changed her password and now I am running a virus scan. Is there anything else we need to do? Is her account safe? I know what a hacker is but I guess I don't fully understand what can all happen from one. Is there anything else we need to do?

Dd wants everybody to know she was not on any bad sites ;) She doesn't want people thinking badly of her :001_smile:

It isn't hacked; it is a virus.

I am running our anti virus and so far it is not showing anything. As of right now its 34% scanned. If it does not show anything what else should I do? We use Avast. Is there anything that is trustworthy that can be used along with Avast?

Would a system restore get rid of it??

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Can I piggyback for just a moment? I was flying happily facebook's radar enjoying stealth mode until about 3 weeks ago when my brother sent me 40 friend suggestions :glare: and :tongue_smilie: He's as annoying as when he was 10. Anyway, within a few days--literally because I hadn't yet posted my first status update--someone hacked into my account and signed me up for a gambling ap. Okay that was disconcerting, but then I noticed they had also posted a status update for me...something poetic regarding parenting...and accepted a bunch of friend requests. :001_huh: I thought my husband was messing around with me, but he swears up and down that it wasn't him. He thought it was me!

Weird.

Barb

Can I piggyback for just a moment? I was flying happily facebook's radar enjoying stealth mode until about 3 weeks ago when my brother sent me 40 friend suggestions :glare: and :tongue_smilie: He's as annoying as when he was 10. Anyway, within a few days--literally because I hadn't yet posted my first status update--someone hacked into my account and signed me up for a gambling ap. Okay that was disconcerting, but then I noticed they had also posted a status update for me...something poetic regarding parenting...and accepted a bunch of friend requests. :001_huh: I thought my husband was messing around with me, but he swears up and down that it wasn't him. He thought it was me!

Weird.

Barb

That's more than weird. That's scary.

Weird.

Barb

This is really pretty odd. Were you using a 'stock' password that you use on other internet sites, or a guessable one like mother's maiden name, that someone who knew you could have guessed? Maybe someone who knew you from high-school?

So apparently my oldest dd was hacked. Somebody messaged her that "she" posted a video but luckily the person knew she would never have used the acronym used so they knew better and let us know. So we went to all her contacts and removed the video from the walls it was posted on. We changed her password and now I am running a virus scan. Is there anything else we need to do? Is her account safe? I know what a hacker is but I guess I don't fully understand what can all happen from one. Is there anything else we need to do?

Dd wants everybody to know she was not on any bad sites ;) She doesn't want people thinking badly of her :001_smile:

You should be able to find more information by googling the name of the video and/or the comment it posted in quotes. Some of those videos are relatively harmless (just tricks to get people into surveys), while some of them are a bit more troublesome.

This is really pretty odd. Were you using a 'stock' password that you use on other internet sites, or a guessable one like mother's maiden name, that someone who knew you could have guessed? Maybe someone who knew you from high-school?

Nope, it was a totally different password than my usual, which is why I believe my husband when he said it wasn't him. I also hid myself and made myself largely unsearchable. Luckily I didn't have any credit cards, phone numbers, etc saved, but it was creepy.

Oh! So I fixed the security setting to alert me when someone signs on using a strange computer and advised my 17yo to do the same since she is the only other one with a Facebook. About a week later she gets a security notification that someone is Charlotte, NC had signed on to her account and that Facebook security had locked it. She was able to go through the process to access it and none of the settings had been changed, but the whole thing makes me want to just delete it and be done with it.

Barb

Weird.

Barb

Bet it was your brother. ;)