Menu

Has anyone heard of the PLAN test?

Our high school has their sophomores take the PLAN and juniors the PSAT. I had never heard of this test. Originally my plan was for my 15yo ds to take the PSAT this fall but I guess we might do the PLAN instead and just take the PSAT sample tests in the prep book to prepare for next year.

Or should I have him take both? I'm a little confused right now.

Our high school has their sophomores take the PLAN and juniors the PSAT. I had never heard of this test. Originally my plan was for my 15yo ds to take the PSAT this fall but I guess we might do the PLAN instead and just take the PSAT sample tests in the prep book to prepare for next year.

Or should I have him take both? I'm a little confused right now.

It looks like the PLAN is a prep test for the ACT. So I would expect that it would be promoted in areas where ACT is a predominant test (I think many Midwest schools prefer ACT to SAT). It might be good if you had a kid who was planning to apply to colleges that wanted ACT.

I'm not seeing that PLAN is associated with any kind of scholarship competition similar to National Merit (which is associated with PSAT).

My son took the PLAN test last fall. He had the option of taking it through the local public school or through a couple of the big high school co-ops. We went thru this one (even tho we don't take classes there), in case anyone's in MN: http://www.chatclasses.com/

P.S. My older dd took the PLAN through a co-op some 8 years ago. Maybe it's more of a midwestern thing, since the ACT is more popular at colleges in the midwest, while the SAT is more popular on the coasts.

HTH,

Julie

I'm not seeing that PLAN is associated with any kind of scholarship competition similar to National Merit (which is associated with PSAT).

For this reason, I do not care about the PLAN (and ds has already taken the ACT), but I am trying my hardest to find a spot for him to take the PSAT this year in 10th grade. I'd rather him get practice for the PSAT in 11th grade.

My two oldest took the PLAN and -- perhaps because the ACT is the focus test for them -- I thought it was worthwhile. It's cheap ($10??), and gave them the experience of standardized testing conditions, etc. (Their 1st standardized test.) Not a huge thing to take it, and no scholarships associated, but again for us it was worth the $10 to get their feet wet with the test that is their focus.

It looks like the PLAN is a prep test for the ACT. So I would expect that it would be promoted in areas where ACT is a predominant test (I think many Midwest schools prefer ACT to SAT). It might be good if you had a kid who was planning to apply to colleges that wanted ACT.).

:iagree:Yes, it's the prep test for the ACT.

:iagree:Also true--which is the reason we didn't bother with it. I think it's much easier to practice for the ACT by... taking the ACT (which you can sign up for online--no frantic calling of schools trying to find one that will give your child a seat! Yikes, that was stressful getting ds signed up for the PSAT in 10th! :tongue_smilie:)

FWIW, I would recommend that if you want to take the PLAN, 9th grade would be the best time to do it. I'd go for the PSAT in 10th--our experience has been that it's valuable prep for the PSAT that counts in 11th grade.