Menu

Double major vs. double degree

Hunter's Moon

I always assumed if you double majored that you would walk out of that college with two degrees.

If the majors are in two different schools within the college (ex: science & liberal arts or whatever) then you'd need to meet the general ed requirements for both schools, right?

How can a potential employer see you double majored, though?

Will the diploma indicate the double major? Same with a minor?

I'm just curious.

Nice new name :D

Whether you get a double major or a double degree completely depends on the school. Some of them will permit double-degrees, some of them indicate a second major, and some of them simply don't permit an outside major (although you can always do the coursework and note that it was completed). Ask the school.

With regards to the double major though, both will show on transcript if it's permitted. I didn't double major but had a triple minor, and all of them show on mine.

A lot of whether you'll have to take extra electives will be up to the individual college and maybe even the subschool or department. At my college I was encouraged to choose a double major in the same school so that the electives for the primary major could come from the second major, I didn't, but I think I could have still graduated in four years without extra time (I did two sessions of summer school one summer, but part of that was because I wanted to get in some electives that weren't in my school).

At the University of Illinois, their policy is to give a degree in whatever of the two majors you deem to be the one. So, for example, I doublemajored in English and Writing. I completed all the requirements for both majors. I was award a BA in English. The onus is on me to specifically inform potential employers of this (resume or whatever). If they wish to confirm my double major that information is found on my transcript.

A former roommate, on the other hand, applied for a double degree after she had completed four years of school and was ready to graduate in political science. Her application was approved, and she had to put in additional credit hours (basically an entire extra year of work). In other words, she had to fulfill the requirements for her second major (economics) AND put in the required additional hours as a student. At the end of that year (her fifth year of school) she was awarded two degrees, one in Political Science and one in Economics. She has two pieces of paper to prove it.

Depends on the school and myriad details.

Dd1 has double degrees -- a B.A. in art history and a B.S. in chemistry. She needed to have a fairly large number of additional credits, and the B.S. (instead of a B.A.) in chemistry required additional coursework. So she has two degrees to hang on her wall!

Ds1 will triple major but he will only have one degree, even though he will have the credits required for a double degree. Basically, he is fulfilling the requirements for a B.A. in each of three majors. If he fulfilled the requirements for a B.S. in either math or econ, he could have double degrees, one of which would have a double major listed on it.

The transcript lists the double degree or double major, and you can list it on your resume. Ultimately, as dd1 has found out, in a number of circumstances there is not room for two so you end up listing one. You just choose the one that is most important to you.

But anyone who will care about the double major or double degree will have enough space for you to list both.