Menu

Big College Quandary- (Long) Need Big Time Advice

My DD just turned 17- she is officially a junior in HS, duel enrolled at a local CC where she has two semesters left before getting an associates degree. She is taking 4 classes this semester and 4 classes next semester.

We didn’t anticipate her finishing as quickly as she did and now we are trying to decide what is the best option for her.

Should she graduate this year and leave to college? Or should she teach english in China next year, which she sort of wants to? She is fine doing either-

Here is the problem-

1st- College Exams

If she graduates this year, we have to hurry and take ACT/SAT/PSAT as quickly as possible- like in 4 weeks, giving her an option to take it again in November if needed. We have to do a test prep course probably too, on top of a loaded CC schedule.

She has taken college Algebra, but hasn't take trig/or the next course needed to graduate from the CC. She takes that winter semester. I am afraid she won't have the math for the exams until after next semester.

And we have to apply to school- yes, we have narrowed down the choices.

Her number one college choice would let her transfer her credit, but she still needs to apply as a freshman and take the ACT.

If she goes to China or waits a year, then she becomes a transfer student and avoids the college exams but loses scholarship opportunities.

She might not get accepted to the college of her choice, since the particular school she is looking at are very test heavy and hard on home schoolers. She does have dyslexia, I fear for the standardized test.

If she transfers she would have no problem, because she has straight A’s from the CC and a big portfolio.

2nd- Scholarships

She is eligible for several scholarships both as a transfer and as a senior in high school. She would apply for both.

If she transfers, some of the future scholarships cannot be deferred, hence she would lose the money if she received it and didn’t get accepted or ended up choosing the China year. We have said if you get the money you are going to college.

The school won't let her defer as a freshman.

Side Note: (She has won 3 National Awards and has already received close to $18,000 in earlier cash scholarships. Some of which has been used for community college.)

If she chooses to go to China, Do we not graduate from High School? Do we try everything again next year, scholarships,exams, etc.?

If she isn’t graduated from HS, she may not be able to officially graduate from CC and the whole process begins again.

We don’t have to decide on China immediately.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Finally if she wants to go to top tier school- they don’t accept any CC credit and we start from scratch. We hope that she goes somewhere affordable that won’t have a ton of college debt.

She could wait to see what pans out in scholarship aid, but she can’t wait to apply to college.

I think she should apply to college regardless, and if things don’t pan out go to China and then transfer.

What do you think? I need therapy on this one!

Edited by Lux Et Veritas Academy

I have a question, does the college know that the "deferral" would be to teach for a year in China?

Sometimes, schools won't allow deferral because they think that the kids are just goofing off, basically. If they know it's for something so worthwhile, then it might make a difference.

Well, maybe another question, too: would being off from school for a year make her "rusty" in terms of her studies and make doing the work harder for her when she does get back?

And, finally, would the school allow her to attend for a year and THEN take a year off to teach (as an internship, say, for example)?

I wouldn't want to lose scholarship dollars, so I feel for your situation! Going in without ACT testing would be ideal for you, too, I think....

>>1st- College Exams

If she graduates this year, we have to hurry and take ACT/SAT/PSAT as quickly as possible- like in 4 weeks, giving her an option to take it again in November if needed. We have to do a test prep course probably too, on top of a loaded CC schedule.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, unless you have previous test scores that make you particularly worried or unless she's going for an Ivy. She will have actual good grades from actual college courses, which generally trump standardized test scores.

She has taken college Algebra, but hasn't take trig/or the next course needed to graduate from the CC. She takes that winter semester. I am afraid she won't have the math for the exams until after next semester.

Do they really use much trig on the exams? I'd look at a test prep book (your library will have one) to get a sense of how much (if any) and whether it's something that can be crammed.

And we have to apply to school- yes, we have narrowed down the choices.

Then you've done one of the biggest parts already.

Her number one college choice would let her transfer her credit, but she still needs to apply as a freshman and take the ACT.

That would be great. She will be accepted as a freshman, so no loss of scholarship and a BIG leg up over other applicants because of her cc courses/grades.

If she goes to China or waits a year, then she becomes a transfer student and avoids the college exams but loses scholarship opportunities.

I wouldn't try to avoid the exams unless her exam scores are likely to be significantly different than typical for her first choice school. Don't just look at the school's top scores, look at the range and get a sense of where she fits. Again, she has the advantage of having taken actual college courses and getting actual good grades. Also, talk to the various school admissions folks as much as you need to, visit the schools (and make sure they have a record of this - don't just wander around on your own), and make sure her application makes it clear that the top school is her top choice.

She might not get accepted to the college of her choice, since the particular school she is looking at are very test heavy and hard on home schoolers. She does have dyslexia, I fear for the standardized test.

Love your safety. Seriously, plan each school-path carefully, as you just don't know where she'll get in, and how much each school will cost.

If she transfers she would have no problem, because she has straight A’s from the CC and a big portfolio.

But they'll see the A's and the portfolio even if she applies as a freshman.

2nd- Scholarships

She is eligible for several scholarships both as a transfer and as a senior in high school. She would apply for both.

Finally if she wants to go to top tier school- they don’t accept any CC credit and we start from scratch. We hope that she goes somewhere affordable that won’t have a ton of college debt.

The she shouldn't apply as a transfer to that school.

She could wait to see what pans out in scholarship aid, but she can’t wait to apply to college.

I think she should apply to college regardless, and if things don’t pan out go to China and then transfer.

:iagree: Pursue all paths until you have to make a choice. There are so many variables you can't control.