Menu

What am I missing for my 1st and 2nd grade girls?

momsuz123

2nd grader:

MIF (singapore math 2a - but having some trouble with switch in curriculum, so will go back and go thru 1b for some review)

Spelling workout b (doing almost a lesson a day because strong speller)

FIAR

Science 4 real kids

Grammar for the WTM level 1 (because they don't teach much grammar in ps anymore)

HWT level 2

She is a strong reader and speller, messy handwriter, and was strong in her ps math curriculum but needs some fine tuning with her new curriculum)

What am I missing? I was going to add Read Write Draw

1st grader:

MIF 1a

FIAR

Science 4 real kids

Grammar as above

HWT level 1

Spelling workout A

I have a bunch of puzzles, computer games, apps, etc too. I just feel like I am missing something.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Edited by momsuz123
added something

I don't know what your long term plans are, but some things that we did last year for grade 1 that I couldn't see in your plans were Writing with Ease Level 1, History, Geography and a foreign language. We are finishing up Singapore 1B right now too before going into 2A. We had to stop for a while at the end of last year and worked on Math Mammoth to focus on some trouble areas. Over the summer we picked 1B up again and it seems to be working better now.

2nd grader:

MIF (singapore math 2a - but having some trouble with switch in curriculum, so will go back and go thru 1b for some review)

Spelling workout b (doing almost a lesson a day because strong speller)

FIAR

Science 4 real kids

Grammar for the WTM level 1 (because they don't teach much grammar in ps anymore)

HWT level 2

She is a strong reader and speller, messy handwriter, and was strong in her ps math curriculum but needs some fine tuning with her new curriculum)

What am I missing? I was going to add Read Write Draw

1st grader:

MIF 1a

FIAR

Science 4 real kids

Grammar as above

HWT level 1

Spelling workout A

I have a bunch of puzzles, computer games, apps, etc too. I just feel like I am missing something.

Thanks,

Suzanne

For your strongly verbal 2nd grader, as well as your 1st grader:

• Memory work for Poetry & Bible

• Copy work

• Audio books of full-length chapter books

HTH.

Thanks! I should have added that in my FIAR curriculum I do always pull out what I can on history, geography, and language arts. I am new to hs and trying desperately to concentrate on our core and go from there.

This is a good strategy. FWIW, I think that sometimes there is too much pressure to "do it all" with young students, but you are wise to focus on the basic core. Especially if your 2nd grader is a strong reader, and you can get your 1st grader well on her way, there will be plenty of time to cover history, geography, science, art & composer studies, world languages, music, etc., etc., etc.

What do you think is "missing?" :bigear:

Audiobooks are a dream. We love them and my children's vocabulary has increased dramatically! The grammar stage is perfect for this. We listen to them in the car so momy can benefit from the silence also.;) At home we do read alouds. It's amazing how much they learn when you immerse them in good literature.

Also, seconding the WWE rec.

Well, I am thinking I am missing more writing. I do make them do some copywork (when I remember), writing down 3 words a book from FIAR that they don't know (they write it on an index card and I am now introducing them to the dictionary to learn definitions and make the 7 y/o write them down, I'll help the 6 y/o), do our version of a lap books.

My 6 y/o seems to hate writing and even my 7 y/o complains.

I mostly think I am not pushing my 7 y/o enough - I feel I have her on the level of my young first grader. I have to figure out how to get her to her second grade, strong reader level.

Well, I am thinking I am missing more writing. I do make them do some copywork (when I remember), writing down 3 words a book from FIAR that they don't know (they write it on an index card and I am now introducing them to the dictionary to learn definitions and make the 7 y/o write them down, I'll help the 6 y/o), do our version of a lap books.

My 6 y/o seems to hate writing and even my 7 y/o complains.

I mostly think I am not pushing my 7 y/o enough - I feel I have her on the level of my young first grader. I have to figure out how to get her to her second grade, strong reader level.

I was thinking this, too, but wondered if that was how it seemed to you. I agree, your line-up could use more writing (for the 2nd grader).

If I were in your shoes, I would buy the download for Writing with Ease, both levels 1 and 2. That way, you could print out only what you need. For example, we don't use the writing lines, because they are the wrong spacing for my 1st grader; we simply use our own lined paper. The downloads allow you to reuse the levels within your own family.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/the-complete-writer-writing-with-ease-workbook-1-pdf.html

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/the-complete-writer-writing-with-ease-workbook-2-pdf.html

You could move your 2nd grader through WWE 1 at a faster pace than usual -- it's easy to do two lessons in one day. Just combine Day One (copywork) and Day Two (narration), then Days Three & Four. Whenever you feel your 2nd grader has mastered the skills of WWE 1, administer the end of level test to see if it's time to move on.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/the-complete-writer-writing-with-ease-instructor-text.html

(Scroll down and click on the blue Diagnostic Evaluations).

If you finish WWE 1 plus part of WWE 2 with her this year, that would be great progress! WWE is very incremental. The student can focus on one aspect of the writing process at a time -- either narrating a short passage OR copying a sentence. It's also easy for the teacher to implement. Even if you decide not to continue with WWE throughout the years, it does help you learn, as a teacher, what to do with your students and what to expect of them. It also really helps you to work on those writing skills with patience and consistency. HTH.

Okay, I may be missing something, but can I download the workbook only, and then have to have the instructor text shipped? I didn't see the download for that.

But thanks for the info - it looks great!

I never purchased the instructor's text at all, and have never missed it. :001_smile: Many people simply buy the workbooks and go with those. Opinions vary, but (whispers), You don't really need the instructor's text. Shhhhhh. ;)