Menu

Field Tripping Across the Country

I've been offered a midwifery apprenticeship in Oregon, so it looks like our family is going to be making the drive from upstate New York to Lebanon, Oregon this fall.

We'll be driving along I-80W for a large portion of the trip and I am looking for field trip suggestions for stops along the way.

We'll be driving through:

New York

Pennsylvania

Ohio

Indiana

Illinois

Iowa

Nebraska

Colorado (touching top corner)

Wyoming

Utah

Idaho

Oregon

Mostly along I-80, with the exception of Chicago to go to the Lego Discovery Center.

Our children will be 11, 8, 6, and 4 when we make the trip. We've always homeschooled and I'm thinking we'll treat this like the biggest homeschool field trip we've ever had.

What can you suggest that's close to (preferably right off of) the highway that we shouldn't miss?

I've been offered a midwifery apprenticeship in Oregon, so it looks like our family is going to be making the drive from upstate New York to Lebanon, Oregon this fall.

We'll be driving along I-80W for a large portion of the trip and I am looking for field trip suggestions for stops along the way.

We'll be driving through:

New York

Pennsylvania

Ohio

Indiana

Illinois

Iowa

Nebraska

Colorado (touching top corner)

Wyoming

Utah

Idaho

Oregon

Mostly along I-80, with the exception of Chicago to go to the Lego Discovery Center.

Our children will be 11, 8, 6, and 4 when we make the trip. We've always homeschooled and I'm thinking we'll treat this like the biggest homeschool field trip we've ever had.

What can you suggest that's close to (preferably right off of) the highway that we shouldn't miss?

How fun!

I live near 80/90 in Ohio, and it's almost impossible for me to think of just a few things you should do! There are so many! What kinds of things does your family like to do?

On thing I can think of, is if you are coming from NY through PA, will you be on 90 first? If so, a stop at Presque Isle State Park near Erie, PA is worth it. It's a beautiful peninsula that juts out into Lake Erie with nice beaches to relax and stretch your legs a bit. There is a TON of stuff to do in the Cleveland area. If you are planning to stop there, I can suggest many things. We have a great Natural History Museum, Science Museum with a large cargo ship you can also visit, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ( a little overrated IMHO), Malley's Chocolate Factory (they give tours!), an awesome Botanical Garden, a great art museum, Children's museum, Federal Reserve Bank tour, and lots of other great places just outside the city. In Ohio, you will be travelling close to the north shore, and there are many opportunities to stop at beautiful places along Lake Erie. In the fall, many of the attractions are closed for the season, though.

Farther west along 80/90 in Milan, OH, you can visit Thomas Edison's birthplace museum and Milan Historical Museum- with 1800's memoribilia.

A short distance from the turnpike is Seneca Caverns in Bellvue, OH. Very cool cave tour. They might only be open on weekends in the fall, though.

Near Toledo, you can visit Fort Meigs, a War of 1812 fort and vistor's center.

Also, near Chicago, my neighbors went here this summer and their kids seemed to really enjoy it.

I'd love to hear your final itinerary!

We liked Fort Bridger in Wyoming. There is also a state park there just before you reach the border that has buffalo in the park. Bear River State Park, that is the name!

Just outside of Twin Falls when you cross the high bridge over the Snake River, you can see the large mound where Evel Knievel tried to jump the canyon back in the 70s. Not worth stopping for but it's always fun to point out. :)

Years ago when I first drove across Nevada, I was reading a book that was a collection of diary entries from settlers who made the same trip but in covered wagons. I-80 through Nevada pretty much follows the same wagon trail. It made the trip more interesting! You could probably find a similar book about the Oregon Trail. I would think I-80 and I-84 through Oregon would cover much of the old Oregon Trail. I've always wanted to see Chimney Rock in Nebraska. That isn't too far off I-80 I don't think.

I am so ready for another road trip!!!

Long. Part One.

We just drove the stretch from Utah to Omaha last month, with kids age 8, 6, and 1 1/2. There's a built in field trip already there, in that that stretch parallels the Mormon Trail, the Oregon Trail, and the Transcontinental Railroad.

We let my son plan most of our stops for his "Family Travel" belt loop for cubs, so these are VERY train heavy, but here's what we saw (trying to work backwards):

In Omaha, we were supposed to go to the Henry Doorley Zoo, the Omaha Children's Museum, and the Mormon Winter Quarters (where the Mormon Trail starts), but saw Camping World and a tire place while our rig got repaired instead. We did see a small rail museum in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

In Kearney, Nebraska, we stopped at their "Trails and Rails" museum. It was small, but does include a recreated town in the back. We just looked into the open buildings on our own, as it was just a lunch stop for us, but they offer a guided tour through most of the buildings. It has a church, a blacksmith's shop, a one room school house, etc.

In North Platte, Nebraska, we stopped at the Golden Spike Tower. Our son loved it, because he could look down at the working rail yard. Our daughter was bored, but did find an interactive computer where she could "color". We also stopped at Cody Park, trying to see the train exhibit, but missed closing by ten minutes (the website was wrong!) There were several play areas there, as well.

In Cheyenne, Wyoming, we stopped at the Cheyenne Depot Museum. It had the standard train stuff downstairs (son was happy), but had a surprising hands-on museum upstairs, which my daughter loved. It was set up to show luggage and contents from around the turn of the century, which the kids were encouraged to touch, had hobo codes hidden around the room, which they could interpret, and even had a wooden train table, which made little daughter happy. We also really liked the Lions/Kiwanis park, which had a train, but also hosts a small amusement park, a botanic garden, a small "history" walk, a petting zoo, and a bunch of other stuff. (We also stopped at Holiday Park, which has one of the last remaining "Big Boy" trains.)

In Utah, you'll pass through Park City, home of the U.S. ski team and the Sundance Film Festival. We haven't been there in years, as everything is ski resort prices, but it is also an old silver mining town.

Part two. Now you're in our home turf.

Just as you come out of the canyon into Salt Lake City, you'll hit an interchange where you can take "Foothill Drive" for about 15/20 minutes to the turnoff to Hogle Zoo and directly across the street, the other end of the Mormon Trail, called "This is the Place." The zoo is experiencing a lot of reconstruction, so might not be worth the price right now, but This is the Place does have a living history museum.

You don't mention Nevada and you do mention Idaho, so I'm surmising that you are leaving I-80 in Salt Lake and moving to I-15, then I-84. In Salt Lake City, you can see all kinds of Mormon history things, including Temple Square, etc. There's also the Family History Library if you are into genealogy, but they don't have any thing to appeal to littles. Close to I-15, though, in the Gateway Mall, we have a decent children's museum, called Discovery Gateway, and almost next door, the Clark planetarium. The shows at the planetarium cost, but the exhibits are all free.

Also in Salt Lake City, but not especially near the freeway is the Tracy Aviary. The park, Liberty Park, that surrounds it has a fountain where the kids can wade if the weather permits.

You can stop to see the Great Salt Lake, but the places to get up close are along I-80. The only way to approach it from I-15 that I'm aware of is via Antelope Island State Park. It's not near the freeway, maybe 30-40 minutes.

About 20 minutes north of Salt Lake City, you can stop at the Hill Aerospace Museum. This has a huge collection of military planes, but also has some great hands-on children's activities. Watch for those and a neat plaque about women in WWII along the west wall in the second (all connected by indoor walkways) building.

Driving north of Salt Lake along I-15, Ogden has a train museum/old car museum/Browning gun museum in it's old Union Pacific building. There's a dinosaur park in Ogden, too, but we haven't been there.

North of Ogden, at Brigham City, you can detour, about 45 minutes, to Promontory Point National Park, where the Golden Spike was driven and the Transcontinental Railroad was completed. On Saturdays, they do a reenactment. My kids had fun doing the Junior Ranger booklet.

Part three. Up I-84 into Oregon.

We drive this stretch to visit extended family yearly, but don't always stop for seeing things. Here are a few we've done.

If you have to stop at the first rest area in Idaho (we always do), take a second to read the markers there. The prehistoric lake, Lake Bonneville (covered much of Utah and Idaho), is mentioned here, as well as some wild life to watch for. There is a conservation area for a bird (can't remember what - some kind of hawk, I think) nearby.

We've stopped at the Malad Gorge State Park. It's right off the I-84 near Jerome, Idaho. Not a lot of interactive stuff, but a spectacular view and lots of basalt. There is a picnic area with a playground down one of the loops. The ranger station is unmanned, on-your-honor, so having some ones on you helps for paying.

Boise has a children's museum near campus (off the freeway a ways.) It's small, but the kids liked it.

In Baker City, Oregon, take the time to go to the Oregon Trail Interpretative Center. There are several along the trail, but this is one of the best. The little Chinese cemetery off the freeway on the other side of the freeway from Baker's main drag might be worth a stop. (The website I linked pretty much shows you the whole thing. We went there geocaching.) If you've got time, you can go to Sumpter, Oregon from there to ride the train and see the Dredge.

That's about the boundaries of my experience (my extended family lives in Baker), but near Portland, the hikes to the falls are spectacular, especially Multnomah and nearby Bridal Veil. I've heard the Maryhill Museum across the Columbia on the Washington side is good, but we've not been there.

Portland has OMSI, of course, but you'll be able to daytrip to there once you're settled in your new home. Portland is also home to my son's favorite train, the 4449 Daylight, but it is on private property and can only be seen when it comes out for excursions. They do Polar Express runs at Christmas.

So far I've got:

Cleveland Children's Museum- Ohio

Lego Discovery Center- Chicago

Iowa State Capitol Building- Iowa

I would go to the Great Lakes Science Center over the Children's Museum in Cleveland. The Children's Museum is geared for kids under 7. Your older kids will probably be bored there. The GLSC is for all ages and has an area just for little kids, too. Much better for the age ranges, I think. There is also on Omnimax Theatre there with really cool movies and the William G. Mather Steamship right outside, which is also really cool to visit. You can get a combo ticket for all the exhibits. I think there might be reciprocal museum membership discounts as well.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler