Menu

HOD CTC - worried about history content. Help?

Evergreen Academy

School doesn't start officially here until next week, but we have been easing into subjects, starting with math and reading over the past few weeks, and doing our first day of HOD's Creation to Christ today (we have appointments with Shriners Hospital next week and decided to try to squeeze in a full week doing it this way).

I have been SO excited about starting this curriculum, but as I've been browsing through the upcoming weeks and the books, and as we worked through today, it seems like everything taught is Biblical history. Coming from a background of teaching with SOTW, Biblioplan and Sonlight, I was looking for a change, but I am wondering, where is the other history? Are we going to cover the Egyptians, or is everything told through Biblical history, at least until the Greeks? I like a Biblical perspective and some of the stuff is fascinating, but is that all there is?

I know many people here rave about this curriculum and have high standards for education and their materials, so I'd appreciate input from those who've had experience with this.

Thanks!

Bumping up for you.

I have heard that Christine Miller's Ancient World book is mostly Bible history. If you like everything else about HOD, perhaps it wouldn't be too difficult to add in more books on Egypt from your library or that you purchase? Have you already used CHOW? HOD does have students using CHOW the year before CTC, so perhaps if you haven't used it, it would be helpful to add it in?

It will DEFINITELY blend with other history! It is much more just Biblical history for the first bit because, well, creation and all WAS what was going on. It will start blending soon! There are LOTS of resources used in CTC and the whole year is Ancients, unlike the year before which is an overview of history from creation to more modern. So you'll be digging into the whole world before you know it. HOD is not going to be shallow at all, I can assure you. This is my 4th year with them and I'm nothing but pleased with the depth and breadth of history. My kids REMEMBER what they learn! And that is due to how deep HOD is, and the fact it isn't JUST Biblical history, but they can see how it ties into all of history together. (I've used LHTH up to some of PHFHG between all of my kids, though we are now combining my oldest back with younger....so I've done more than it appears ;) )

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate opinions on the depth of this study. I received similar responses on the HOD board, and I'll share just a bit for the sake of others reading this who wondered the same thing. On the HOD board, people said that yes, this program doesn't appear to have as many resources as a classical program might, but that it goes deeper and the retention has been great for their kids because of the CM method, the narration, the notebooking, etc.

It was also pointed out that the history package of storytime books adds a lot to the study, and The Boy of the Pyramids and God King were mentioned in particular. I hadn't bought all of the storytime books because I own so many classics as well as books from that time period, and planned to schedule my own read alouds, but I'll be ordering the Boy of the Pyramids today (own the God King already).

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate opinions on the depth of this study. I received similar responses on the HOD board, and I'll share just a bit for the sake of others reading this who wondered the same thing. On the HOD board, people said that yes, this program doesn't appear to have as many resources as a classical program might, but that it goes deeper and the retention has been great for their kids because of the CM method, the narration, the notebooking, etc.

It was also pointed out that the history package of storytime books adds a lot to the study, and The Boy of the Pyramids and God King were mentioned in particular. I hadn't bought all of the storytime books because I own so many classics as well as books from that time period, and planned to schedule my own read alouds, but I'll be ordering the Boy of the Pyramids today (own the God King already).

Excellent idea. :) Can't wait to get there myself!

I had this question when I was deciding to order PHFHG or not and people assured me that the non biblical history is still very good. I am still a little worried about it so I am lining up book basket books and pages from The Internet Linked book of World History. I will do this with all levels if I see fit.