Menu

What would you do???

Looking for some advice about our vacation. We paid for a home rental in Keene Valley, NY later this month. We have been looking forward to this vacation for quite some time. We love the house and have stayed there many times.

But, the town was hit very hard by Hurricane Irene. One of the bridges on a road very close to the house was washed away. The bridge over the brook on the way to the home was listed as "compromised". The trails we were going to hike are all closed. There is a landslide happening in another neighborhood (but not where the house is) and many of the houses have been condemned. I've been trying to determine exactly which roads have been washed away and shut down, but I see conflicting reports. I've seen reports that some of the local dams are a concern and that drinking water could be an issue, but I can't tell if the reports are outdated, or if these are still issues. Dh is going to make some calls today to see what he can find out.

My question is, would you be inclined to go forward with the vacation if the home owners say everything is okay? Or, would you try to reschedule or back out? I'm not sure what will happen with our money. We have already paid in full.

Shannon

ETA: Upon further investigation, the landslide seems like old news related to spring flooding, though it was mentioned in one article. Not sure if it is still a concern.

Edited by shanvan

Things are in flux in Keene right now. Some areas are okay and others not, some trails open and others are now bogs. In a few weeks much should be settled but if we get early rains it won't be pretty. Can you hold off for a week or so and make your decision?

So, you are there? Is 73 closed to the thruway? Is Keene accessible? I see conflicting reports. It seems hard to get current and accurate information. Well, I suppose we can wait to make a decision, but we are scheduled to leave the 15th to stay with my aunt for a few days first, and I have to make arrangements for my dogs while we are away. If we aren't going to keene, then we'd most likely want to make other plans. I'll see what my husband finds out.