Menu

Passport question for the Hive Mind...

PiCO

I remember hearing a rumor that your passport can't expire within 6 months of your travel dates. Is this true? I googled it, but didn't see that information.

My dd's passport expires in April 2012, and we are going to Mexico in November.

Thanks!

No, not true. As others said, the only concern would be if you needed a visa, which in this case you don't.

Where we live (Eastern Europe) there is a rule that passports have to be valid for at least six more months when entering the country. This holds true for countries requiring visa, as well as those not requiring visa. For the latter, border control can be more lax and they may let you in anyway if you have a passport that is valid for only four months, but are only staying for a week. But they can, and do sometimes, refuse entry to people whose passport expires too soon.

I'd check with the nearest embassy.

Where we live (Eastern Europe) there is a rule that passports have to be valid for at least six more months when entering the country. This holds true for countries requiring visa, as well as those not requiring visa. For the latter, border control can be more lax and they may let you in anyway if you have a passport that is valid for only four months, but are only staying for a week. But they can, and do sometimes, refuse entry to people whose passport expires too soon.

I'd check with the nearest embassy.

Thank you for this correction! Here's a U.S. Deparment of State site that provides country-specific info including entry/exit requirements for U.S. citizens. It was interesting to see, in reference to Switzerland, that "the passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay." We inevitably have at least one person whose passport is on the verge of expiration when we travel there, but it's never been an issue. But as you said, lax border control aside, it's wise to confirm the requirements.

My husband went into Canada a week before his passport expired and we left the day before. They didn't seem to care. Those Canadians, such trusting folk...
As any of us who live directly on the border can tell you, getting out of the U.S. into Canada is a breeze ~ it's getting back in that can be the challenge.;)

Thank you for this correction! Here's a U.S. Deparment of State site that provides country-specific info including entry/exit requirements for U.S. citizens. It was interesting to see, in reference to Switzerland, that "the passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay." We inevitably have at least one person whose passport is on the verge of expiration when we travel there, but it's never been an issue. But as you said, lax border control aside, it's wise to confirm the requirements.

Thanks for the info, Colleen! I don't see anything in the Mexico info saying anything about passports expiring. But I did learn that I need to bring my parental documentation.