Menu

Teaching Company chemistry question

I bought the Chemistry DVDs for my DD (the high school course), and so far, we are extremely disappointed. The first three lectures have no content whatsoever, all he talks about is that chemistry is easy despite contrary misconceptions. Then it is sooo slow... DD is skipping large chunks because he just talks a lot without saying much.

My question is: does it get better? At what point? Or was this an utter waste of money for a student who does NOT have hangups about chemistry and who gets stuff when it is explained once?

We really feel treated like idiots by this guy.

I bought the Chemistry DVDs for my DD (the high school course), and so far, we are extremely disappointed. The first three lectures have no content whatsoever, all he talks about is that chemistry is easy despite contrary misconceptions. Then it is sooo slow... DD is skipping large chunks because he just talks a lot without saying much.

My question is: does it get better? At what point? Or was this an utter waste of money for a student who does NOT have hangups about chemistry and who gets stuff when it is explained once?

We really feel treated like idiots by this guy.

Have you skipped ahead? I have the old version, but in our sequence the real material didn't start until lesson 7. Based on what I've gleaned from reading your posts, these may not be helpful to your dd. I have to say that even though I describe myself as a TC addict, we have not been thrilled with their high school courses with this exception. We loved the chemistry dvd's, but I remember that the first six lectures were definitely ho-hum. My son liked Mr. Cardulla's sense of humor, though. I never took chemistry past high school, and even though I received an A in that one course I was never quite sure about stoichiometry. I remember thinking to myself after watching the TC lectures, good grief, why didn't my hs teacher explain it this way?

The TC high school courses are, by design, aimed at the typical high school student. My son liked Mr. Cardulla but refused to continue past the first three Superstar Student lectures, and barely tolerated the algebra and geometry courses. I think they're excellent for a student who benefits from some extra reinforcement or alternative explanations of the math used in high school chemistry.

HTH,

Martha

ETA: Our liking for the TC chemistry course may have been due to some unique circumstances; feel free to PM for a more detailed explanation.

ETA (again) I didn't mean to sound flaky or mysterious and the invitation to PM goes for others who might be interested--not just the OP--I didn't want to post too much personal info about ds.:blush:

Edited by Martha in NM
add info. & clarify

No real help here, as dd just finished the first lecture. We are hoping he gets into the chemistry quickly because she wants to learn! We did have a good laugh at the poor guy who "didn't listen to the rules" and "died". We had better learn the rules or else! Dd is very bright and wants to do ap Chem but I thought we could go through this in a semester and add micro Chem for experiments and then she would be ready. From what I see, this is really just learning how to do the math in chemistry. Maybe your dc can get through it and move to ap Chem?

Also, I am planning on buying one of their physics courses and then having her do ap physics. Hope it provides a decent prep.

My son said to start with the second disc, but...for someone who is using the Chang text--your daughter probably won't find these DVDs challenging.

I did not expect the DVDs to be actually challenging- I just wanted them so she has somebody explain certain basic concepts. (Even though I am a physicist, I never liked chemistry and wanted an easy way out of working through the book myself in order to explain... LOL)

But she much prefers to watch free online videos.

I guess we'll skip some more in the hope of finding the good stuff.

I sure hope so. He said in the first lecture that he will be demonstrating experiments. Yes, our dd is in precalculus (just turned14) and I think this will be a breeze. She knows this is just a quick prep for ap chem. Is you dc thinking about ap Chem?

Just an FYI. It's super easy to return lectures that don't fit your needs. I would skip ahead as others have suggested. If it's still a no-go, give them a call. You really can just say, "We tried this, but it was too simple/basic for my kid." You have to pay return shipping, but they will give you your money back.

Peace,

Janice

(I'm a TC addict, but I'm not a huge fan of most of their high school stuff.)