Menu

now I see why AAS is so expensive compared to HTTS

joyfulhomeschooler

I just got HTTS (how to teach spelling) in the mail and started reading through it. It does teach basically the same way AAS does... but boy AAS really does hold your hand doesn't it! I thought that since AAS was more money and I hate the thought of going so slowly through spelling that we would give HTTS a try. Hmm not so sure now. I wonder if there is a way to make HTTS more like AAS? Or maybe I will be scolded by the HTTS users and I just haven't given it a chance.

I felt the same way when I got it (before hunkering down and purchasing AAS). I was confused with how to implement it!

We just started AAS level one 2 weeks ago and will have completed level one in 8 days of lessons. We LOVE it! We've already learned rules that are helping us understand why we spell the way we do and I have seen my son (on more than one occasion) stop and think before adding the "ck" at the end (for instance).

I thought AAS was a little "too much" (money, effort, stuff). Now that we have it, it is one of our favorite parts of the school day!

I felt the same way when I got it (before hunkering down and purchasing AAS). I was confused with how to implement it!

We just started AAS level one 2 weeks ago and will have completed level one in 8 days of lessons. We LOVE it! We've already learned rules that are helping us understand why we spell the way we do and I have seen my son (on more than one occasion) stop and think before adding the "ck" at the end (for instance).

I thought AAS was a little "too much" (money, effort, stuff). Now that we have it, it is one of our favorite parts of the school day!

I know, we really like it too. It's just that it is so teacher intensive. I too though have seen my son think before writing. He uses the double f,s,l rule often. Maybe I need to just figure out a way to MAKE AAS work for us instead of looking for these other programs. I do sometimes feel like AAS is holding him back in spelling though. Maybe that is because we only finished level 1 though and he is 8 in 3rd grade.

My kids are pretty good spellers, one is really good and the other spells phoenetically. He is the one who needs the rules!

I hear you on teacher-intensive. Folks say 15min a day but we were having so much fun, we'd take 30min a day with each kid. That is part of what they like about it - one on one time :)

I actually bought levels 1-4 used for a good price used. I will probably re-evaluate once we get done with level 4 and I will give HTTS a try. By then, I will be more confident in what I'm doing :D If I were you, I would hold onto it. Once you get through another few levels, you might be able to go back to HTTS and speed things up.

I just got HTTS (how to teach spelling) in the mail and started reading through it. It does teach basically the same way AAS does... but boy AAS really does hold your hand doesn't it! I thought that since AAS was more money and I hate the thought of going so slowly through spelling that we would give HTTS a try. Hmm not so sure now. I wonder if there is a way to make HTTS more like AAS? Or maybe I will be scolded by the HTTS users and I just haven't given it a chance.

Did you get the workbook? (How to Spell) I think using the workbooks helps make HTTS a lot easier.

Yes, got the workbooks too. #2 & #3 although #2 was missing some pages :(

Do you use it? Do you find it easy to teach? Maybe it is one of those things you just have to jump in and start.

Yes, we use HTTS w/the workbooks. I just use the workbooks as our guide (basically do the next page) and find the accompanying HTTS page for dictation and additional spelling words.

Yes, we use HTTS w/the workbooks. I just use the workbooks as our guide (basically do the next page) and find the accompanying HTTS page for dictation and additional spelling words.

Oh good! If you wouldn't mind taking the time, can you walk me through a lesson?

So for instance, if you were doing page 18 (open syllables) in wrkbk 2. How would your lesson go? How would you start, what would you do exaclty? I hope this isn't asking too much. I really would appreciate it :)

Oh good! If you wouldn't mind taking the time, can you walk me through a lesson?

So for instance, if you were doing page 18 (open syllables) in wrkbk 2. How would your lesson go? How would you start, what would you do exaclty? I hope this isn't asking too much. I really would appreciate it :)

I would read pg.23 (ch.4, Syllables) to myself in HTTS before the syllables workbook pages.

For the open syllables lesson, I would just read through the workbook page with my dc, making sure they understand. Then have them do the written part. The next time we do spelling I would write some of the words from HTTS p.25 on a whiteboard and have them point out the open syllables. The next day I would write out some words from HTTS p.25 and point out the closed and open syllables.