Menu

science books

I'm looking for suggestions on real (as in NOT textbooks or encyclopedias) books for a 5th grader. She is a good reader. Looking to supplement Elementary Life Science for her. I didn't see good pages to go with these in the Usborne Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia. We are looking at one subject a week.

Living and Non-Living Things

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Habitats and Niche

Grasslands and Forests

More Forest Biomes

Tundra and the Desert

Thank you in advance for any help!

:bigear:

Have you seen the One Small Square books by Donald Silver? This series may be a little "young" for your dd, but there are many books, each covering a different habitat. They could serve as read-alouds for all your dc to enjoy together. Just a thought.

Marilyn

Have you seen the One Small Square books by Donald Silver? This series may be a little "young" for your dd, but there are many books, each covering a different habitat. They could serve as read-alouds for all your dc to enjoy together. Just a thought.

Marilyn

I'll check them out - thank you!

Marilyn

These might be good when we get to the individual areas.

Are their any books for older kids on living and non-living things that anyone knows of? Or is this subject just too basic for 5th grade (I think she'll understand it fine, just want to beef up the lesson a little. She has a kindle, so we could do articles or something like that on pdf as well, if you know of anything.

:bigear:

I heavily lean on my library for quality books (as in clearing the shelves) for our history studies. My dd's then pick from the assortment of books and educational videos, depending on their interest. I'm planning to do the same for science this year too. Would something like this work for you?

Edited by PenKase

I heavily lean on my library for quality books (as in clearing the shelves) for our history studies. My dd's then pick from the assortment of books and educational videos, depending on their interest. I'm planning to do the same for science this year too. Would something like this work for you?

I will probably end up doing this. I didn't have a lot of luck looking at their catalog online for "living and non-living things". The few books I am finding seem to be for very young kids, not older ones. This particular topic seems to be too general for me :tongue_smilie:.

Lots of suggestions: mostly old, look at libraries, Google books, and other used book sites (Amazon does not always have the best prices)

Wild Season by Allan W. Eckert (narrative food chain)

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Season-Allan-W-Eckert/dp/0913428310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315444673&sr=1-1

Plants and Their Children by Mrs. William Starr Dana

http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Their-Children-William-Starr/dp/B000BP8JU2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315444762&sr=1-1

Insect Ways by Clarence M. Weed

The Living Year by Richard Headstrom

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Year-Richard-Headstrom/dp/B0007E2THQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315444936&sr=8-1

The Year of the Turtle by David M. Carroll

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Turtle-Natural-History/dp/0312147724/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315444601&sr=1-1