Menu

Not hearing correct phonics sounds?

What would you make of a child who hears phonics sounds incorrectly. The example from today: he hears saw as sal..even when I took care to enunciate and repeat slowly. His brother doesn't have this issue. I really don't think it's my speech. This happens all the time. He has speech articulation issues. His "l" probably sounds like a "w"...maybe that is it? Maybe he's thinking of his own sounds?

What is it--hearing, speech, processing or normal?

Edited by sbgrace

What would you make of a child who hears phonics sounds incorrectly. The example from today: he hears saw as sal..even when I took care to enunciate and repeat slowly. His brother doesn't have this issue. I really don't think it's my speech. This happens all the time.

What is it--hearing or processing or normal?

That's interesting. My son's mil pronounces saw as sawl and draw as drawl. I always thought it was just some kind of regional dialectical thingy. Now I wonder if she actually hears them that way.

My son used to get a lot of his beginning and ending consonants mixed up. I took him to a speech pathologist and it wasn't that he was hearing them incorrectly, but he thought he was saying them correctly.

He didn't realize that what he was saying was not the same as what I was saying. She diagnosed him with speech apraxia and with some intensive speech therapy, we've corrected 90% of his issues.

Well we are using techniques as if. I'll look again at Barton's site.

Correct me if I misunderstood-

Do you mean you are using a phonics program desinged for a dyslexic?

If so - I realize that it has worked for many people here, but some dyslexics CANNOT learn phonics. In fact - the true definition of dyslexia basically is that they can't learn that way of processing words.

My son did not learn to read until I gave up phonics and went whole language, then he leapt ahead of his grade level in just a few years.

BTW - he also had verbal apraxia. The normal thinking is that because of the speech, the phonics are affected. However, the newest thinking is that the part of the brain that works with both phonics and speech is so closely tied, that any sort of issue with speech is just another symptom of the same root neurological problem.

So - fixing speech issues won't necessarrily fix reading issues.

Anyway - there are so many avenues to look at - this is just one of many :)

you might get her checked out for an audio-processing disorder. My DD struggles with this. Her hearing (mechanical) is fine - it's the brain processing of sound that she struggles with. Simulous processing in the brain is a really complex process, and as with any such thing some people are better at it than others. There are ways to practice and strength this.

What would you make of a child who hears phonics sounds incorrectly. The example from today: he hears saw as sal..even when I took care to enunciate and repeat slowly. His brother doesn't have this issue. I really don't think it's my speech. This happens all the time. He has speech articulation issues. His "l" probably sounds like a "w"...maybe that is it? Maybe he's thinking of his own sounds?

What is it--hearing, speech, processing or normal?

Do you have any other examples? In that example I wouldn't say the l and w are confused because saw doesn't have a /w/ sound. It sounds more like vowel confusion. Is he confused about vowels in his everyday life or is it related to school work only?

Do you have any other examples? In that example I wouldn't say the l and w are confused because saw doesn't have a /w/ sound. It sounds more like vowel confusion. Is he confused about vowels in his everyday life or is it related to school work only?

Good point. I'll try to think of other word issues and see if it's similar. I *think* the first phonetic sound of /o/ is that ah and that's why he picked /o/. Then when I indicated there was an issue he decided it must be third sound of /a/ (ah). So that part didn't concern me. It was the w and l confusion. I guess you're right though that it's not a sound we hear. Duh. :tongue_smilie: Now I'm wondering if all the issues I've seen in this are similar.

My children have the hardest time spelling saw, draw, and the likes. This is primarily because their mom can't say them without sounding like a "l". :blush: There are a few others that I consider "regionally challenged" that I really really have to stop and think about while saying.