Menu

Help me choose curriculum for our community school!

ondreeuh

Dh got a job teaching in a tiny native village in Alaska, and he will be teaching reading, writing, and math to the 4th-5th grade students (all three of them, LOL). He has no experience with younger students and wants me to pick out programs to use. He's also teaching science and history to the high schoolers, but that is under control.

The district doesn't have any adopted curricula. They allow teachers to choose what they want to use, as long as they cover the standards. There are a TON of random Lang. Arts things, but the only math programs they have are Saxon and "Larson Math" which is done on the computer. They do have Right Start games and math manipulatives, but no other formal programs.

I have a prejudice against Saxon, partly because my ds is a visual learner and Saxon is very language-based, and also because it's so tedious to copy the problems. So I need to find something else, FAST. It needs to be inexpensive, because the district may not approve it if it is too spendy. He just needs a TM and 3 books - probably at a high 4th grade level).

My criteria are: easy to teach by someone who has never taught elementary math before, includes workbooks or worksheets so the kids don't have to copy out of texts, and is rich in illustrations and demonstrations for the visual/kinesthetic kids. Regular review is really important too.

Math in Focus (Singapore method)- this looks really good.

Sadlier-Oxford math?

Math Mammoth - the instant download is tempting, but I personally don't find it visually appealing at all. There aren't discrete lessons, and there isn't enough built-in review IMO. But you can't beat the price and how it's mostly self-teaching.

What would you use?

I think he would need to do an assesment of the kids to find out their level. 4th grade math has a lots of new concepts in it. If the 5th grade students mastered it, you would not want to go backwards. I would also want to know what they used last year.

I used excel math when I taught a combination class. It doesn't have a great TE if you are new to teaching math, you may be lost.

My kids have used Sadlier Oxford with great success.

Sounds like a great teaching situation. 3 kids. Teacher freedom.

"There are a TON of random Lang. Arts things, but the only math programs they have are Saxon and "Larson Math" which is done on the computer. They do have Right Start games and math manipulatives, but no other formal programs."

I am a former teacher. My dd was homeschooled all the way to grade 8.

Sorry, but I am going to say to go with what they already have there. It looks pretty good to me.

Saxon is great- the continuous review keeps concepts in students' minds, rather than forgetting what they learned. Add in a little of the Larson math and math games sometimes for variety.

Singapore (Math in Focus) is very good also. It definitely takes teacher time and takes some teacher training. But with Singapore, I would definitely supplement with some games and drills.

Singapore tends to make jumps that some students don't follow. Kids who pick up things quickly will get it, but some students need the intermediate steps that are missing in Singapore.

I would suggest that you start all the kids with Saxon and once you get going, if you find that it isn't a fit for one student, you can find something else that fits that student. But Saxon is a very good program and you have it right there, so I suggest starting with it, at least.

Lang. Arts. I recommend the Saxon (Hake) Grammar and Writing. Again, it reviews the prior material so that the students don't forget. It emphasizes grammar, but also has writing and spelling in the form of dictations. And I also suggest have them do some writing assignments.

Then, for reading, I recommend lots of reading aloud and lots of silent reading time. Daily reading aloud by the teacher. And a daily silent reading period.

Sorry, I know you were looking for something else, but I think what you have is actually pretty good.

We just got our Math in Focus and it looks wonderful! The student textbook (nonconsumable) is bright and colorful. The student workbook (consumable) is black and white; but still very appealing. The TE is really great and I think you can't go wrong by following it (of course, I'm looking at 1st and 2nd grade). We start it next week but so far I already love it and so glad we choose it.

Has you dh looked at the full samples online of MiF? I have a link I can find for you that let's you look at every page from all the books. I'll go look for it now and post back.

ETA: Here's the link to the MiF virtual sampling. Click on Start Evaluating Now>>. This will take you to the next page where you need to click on Browse to see all grades. HTH!

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Singapore (Math in Focus) is very good also. It definitely takes teacher time and takes some teacher training. But with Singapore, I would definitely supplement with some games and drills.

I'm just curious about this. Why does MiF need some teacher training? In all my research on it I haven't ever heard of this.

Dh got a job teaching in a tiny native village in Alaska, and he will be teaching reading, writing, and math to the 4th-5th grade students (all three of them, LOL). He has no experience with younger students and wants me to pick out programs to use. He's also teaching science and history to the high schoolers, but that is under control.

The district doesn't have any adopted curricula. They allow teachers to choose what they want to use, as long as they cover the standards. There are a TON of random Lang. Arts things, but the only math programs they have are Saxon and "Larson Math" which is done on the computer. They do have Right Start games and math manipulatives, but no other formal programs.

I have a prejudice against Saxon, partly because my ds is a visual learner and Saxon is very language-based, and also because it's so tedious to copy the problems. So I need to find something else, FAST. It needs to be inexpensive, because the district may not approve it if it is too spendy. He just needs a TM and 3 books - probably at a high 4th grade level).

My criteria are: easy to teach by someone who has never taught elementary math before, includes workbooks or worksheets so the kids don't have to copy out of texts, and is rich in illustrations and demonstrations for the visual/kinesthetic kids. Regular review is really important too.

Math in Focus (Singapore method)- this looks really good.

Sadlier-Oxford math?

Math Mammoth - the instant download is tempting, but I personally don't find it visually appealing at all. There aren't discrete lessons, and there isn't enough built-in review IMO. But you can't beat the price and how it's mostly self-teaching.

What would you use?

I'm assuming the students aren't new. What did they use last year? Personally, I would stick with the Saxon they have, especially if they used it last year.

Have you thought of CLE for math? I'm not sure if you can use it because it is from a Christian publisher but it is inexpensive, uses workbooks and is VERY easy to teach. We are into our second lightunit with CLE 100 and 300 and have not seen any religious content. He could easily add in some visuals and manipulatives to go along.

I switched from Saxon to CLE this year and have been extremely pleased. IMO, it's solid without too much busy work.

I personally love CLE, but this is a public school so no, it won't work. I used 300 and 400 with my son and there are a few religious references - not enough to bother me, but enough that it's not a secular program. Also, the school wouldn't pay for it anyway because it's not sold by an approve vendor.