Menu

How would you do this math problem?

Love2Smile

My daughter started public school and my mind is slipping!!!

my least favourite thing about kids in school is that they bring the problems home to me.

i have NO problem teaching math; i love math and can DO math, but when they bring home a text or a worksheet, it's totally out of context and you have no idea what the teacher has done to teach them - or, sometimes, how she has messed up teaching it.

And the sad thing is, parents often don't like to complain about these issues at home because WE feel like the dumb ones.

if your kid has no clue how the teacher wants them to do the problems, THAT is the problem, not your math skills.

sorry to hijack with a rant about the schools (not just public, unfortunately)!!! :lol:

The instructions were to "evaluate each expression". It's for 8th grade math. She went back to public school.

If the instructions are to "evaluate", you have to be given values to substitute and to evaluate with.

Otherwise, the directions should be "simplify" (to clear parentheses & combine like terms).

I so would not be able to handle the math that would come home with my son were he in public school (or private). :glare: (Of course, I am yelling at the math text I have to teach from at the cc this semester pretty regularly as well. Sigh. If a number line has only one arrow, it's a ray not a number line. A line needs two arrows (otherwise it's a line segment or a ray as our text has it). Grump, grump, grump.)

If the instructions are to "evaluate", you have to be given values to substitute and to evaluate with.

Otherwise, the directions should be "simplify" (to clear parentheses & combine like terms).

Yep.

That being said, given it's an out-of-context worksheet, I'd make my best guess that the teacher really meant simplify if I couldn't find values anywhere :P