Menu

Is "Intermediate Algebra" the same as Algebra 2?

My 16 yo son and I are still trying to figure out Algebra 2.

Right now, we are using a 1982 edition of Dolicani that I picked up last year at Goodwill. I can't find an affordable solutions manual. It has odd answers in the back of the book. That is not a problem for the "easier" problems. I need solutions for the more difficult problems. Even knowing the correct answer, I'm sometimes not understanding how to get the correct answer. Especially the word problems. So far he is missing less and understanding more than he did in the MUS Algebra 2.

However, I'm worried that I do not understand Algebra 2 enough to guide him through Dolciani without solutions.

I have a teacher's edition of Tobey/Slater's Intermediate Algebra. I think it is a college text. We could go through the teacher's book together for the "lesson".. Then I could copy about 25 problems for him on separate paper. The teacher's edition has the answers written in blue on the problem. It has some worked out solutions. Would this be an Algebra 2 course? After a search on Amazon , I can get a used student book for less than $20.

I also have Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra. Would that be an Algebra 2 course?

I know I've asked a very similar question in the past, but I can't find it when I search.

This is my 3rd time with Algebra 2. You'd think I'd have it figured out by now.:tongue_smilie: My oldest did MUS pretty much independently. The next did a "put-together" , "remedial" Al 2 using MUS, The Algebra 2 Tutor CD, and Kuta website.

Maybe I should go back to MUS and pull out problems from Dolciani, Tobey, and Lials.......... which was my orignial plan for this student..... but having ONE book really is easier on the teacher.

:tongue_smilie:

What would you do?

And the original question......Is Intermediate Algebra is same as Algebra 2?

Thanks!

BTW, Does anyone have a 1982 Doliciani solutions manual for sale for about $25????:D

Edited by Pam L in Mid Tenn
more info

Do you mean the college class Interm. Alg (course # MAT 1033 in Florida)? I considered it so. Dd#1 had Alg I & Geometry in hs & got a 19 on the ACT math. That placed her in Statistics &/or Interm. Alg. While the algebra doesn't count for the math credit needed to graduate, it is an elective credit.

Can't help you w/your true question though. :o

i googled a few weeks ago (but don't have a link) trying to figure out just exactly what algebra 2 is. what i wrote down is this:

1. algebra 1 = elementary algebra or intro to algebra
  2. algebra 2 = intermediate algebra
  3. algebra 3 = could be combination course of more advanced intermediate algebra, trigonometry & other topics; may also be called mathematical analysis

hope this helps:)

Intermediate Algebra is Algebra 2

College Algebra is Algebra 3

Beginning or Introductory Algebra is Algebra 1

Your 'Combo' text Beginning and Intermediate is a review of Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. It was designed for students who had previously had these courses--but needed a refresher before moving on to college-level maths (Statistics, College Algebra or Pre-Calc).

Edited by Jann in TX