Menu

After Irene....

So, here we are still no power....

The town in Windham Mountain, where we were headed to to be on higher ground, but then decided to stay put in Woodstock, has been utterly washed away. I am not sure of the damage to our house because we can't get up the mountain yet....roads are mostly closed. The Batavia Kill crested at over 4 feet....the entire town was pretty much totaled. Businesses and the main road swept into the rushing creek. The water was chest-high. This happens right at the beginning of festival and ski season. Friend of ours entire plumbing business is floating. You can look at YouTube..Uncle John's Irene Mishap....

We must have had a tornado here in Woodstock...there are trees pulled completely out from the roots. Trees, electric poles, power lines are hanging...no phones...cell service is sketchy....yesterday, I couldn't drive out due to trees hanging on poles....

Please keep us all in prayer. Dh and I are better off than many. We have a small generator and the trees missed our house...by inches...but still a miss! We have lots of clean up, but are not as bad off as so many...and we are so grateful and feel blessed. We also have great neighbors and have turned this tragedy into an impromptu street party...cooking and eating all our food etc. One neighbor lost their roof...completely flew off!

Still a bit shocked!!

Faithe

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry about the house up the mountain. Good thing you decided not to go there. I'm glad you are all safe. Keep us posted.

I was just watching the news this morning. They were talking about Vermont, I think, and how bad the flooding is. There was a wedding in a certain area there over the weekend (some camp). They showed pictures of the wedding party. Now everyone at the wedding is stuck there because a bridge washed away. They were told it could be 4 days yet before they can get out. Can you imagine?

I am sorry about all the damage. What an awful thing to go through. As a side note, if the tree are uprooted, it was likely high winds that took them down and not a tornado. Tornados will twist the trees in half, not bring them up by the roots. The areas around here that were hit with the tornados at the end of April look like someone took a giant weed whacker to the trees.

I hope that the clean up goes swiftly.

I am sorry about all the damage. What an awful thing to go through. As a side note, if the tree are uprooted, it was likely high winds that took them down and not a tornado. Tornados will twist the trees in half, not bring them up by the roots. The areas around here that were hit with the tornados at the end of April look like someone took a giant weed whacker to the trees.

I hope that the clean up goes swiftly.

Yep, I can relate to the giant weed whacker thing....there is a line through the woods that looks like that...plus other debris just picked up and moved...set down...at the top, like a cherry.

I am glad we finally have cell service...no other cable or phones...it is eerily quiet here today. Going to try and drive up the mountain to check on the house.....

Faithe