Menu

It's our first day and we've hit a road bump

We started school today and already my daughter (11, almost 12, 6th grade) is complaining about history. I put together my own history program last year and hated every minute of it, so this year I'm using History Odyssey, Level 2, Middle Ages. And I'm loving it. The problem is that Noelle detests the Kingfisher Encyclopedia (I don't like it, either). She's a very strong reader and thinks KF is written for younger kids. I have the DK History book, but that's over her head at this point. Is there anything in between? We're secular homeschoolers, if that makes a difference in recommendations.

Which DK do you have? This one isn't a huge step up from Kingfisher...

I mean, it's a definite step up! But I wouldn't think it would be over the head of a 12yo who is a strong reader and motivated to get away from Kingfisher. (Which I certainly understand. I like Kingfisher, but by 11 my own son was desperate to move on.)

We have the DK Definitive Visual Guide, but she struggled with a few of the chapters we tried. But I think she might be willing to push through it to avoid KF. And I'm willing to give it another go to save some money. Any ideas on adapting it to HO (aka, do you already have a lesson plan so I don't have to do it)? :D

Miss Moe, I checked the NatGeo book out from the library this afternoon to see if it would be a possibility - it's a gorgeous book that I may buy just to have. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

RootAnn, that looks interesting. I'll have to see if I can borrow it from one of the women in my homeschool group. If DK really doesn't work out, I may give this a try. Thanks!