Menu

Amazon vs. Walmart

So... I would like to buy a few office supply type items. Walmart is 40 miles away from me, so comparison shopping is not easy. Walmart does not post prices online for a few of the items that I need.

Do any of you have experience in shopping from amazon versus walmart for non-book purchases?

Thanks!

I buy many, many, many things from Amazon.

Never really bought office supplies, meaning paper, pen, etc, though.

Even if they are a bit more expensive than Walmart,

if you figure no taxes, free shipping, and no driving/gas for your 40 mile trip,

the wee bit extra Amazon might charge (if it is even more, possibly it's cheaper!), it would be so worth it for me.

Love Amazon!!

I loooovvve Amazon. I have Prime shipping, so I love buying stuff as I know it'll be on my door step in 48 hours. :)

Office Depot is a great option as well. Free next business day (or maybe 2 day?) shipping on orders over $50 if memory serves. Great prices. You can always stock up on printer paper to round up an order. (It's been a while since I ordered through them, as my work office manager handles those orders now, and I always just have her order me stuff, lol)

I hate Walmart. There is one between work and home, so we go regularly due to the convenience, but I *still* almost never buy office supplies. Sam's Club (also online!), Office Depot, or Amazon generally have best prices and convenience for me.

I just bought some binders at Amazon. I wanted the same ones I had bought at Walmart a few years ago. I found the exact same ones at Amazon for a few dollars less than at Walmart. I also bought some index tabs and they were exactly the same price both places ($8.54) so I bought them at Amazon to save the (:001_smile: 3 mile) drive to the store. I have Amazon Prime so always free shipping.

Love amazon but have never used it for pens, paper, etc. I use a lot of save & subscribe. If I don't use an item often, I still use the save & subscribe and set it for once every 6 months. With the discount and free shipping, it's well worth it. Some of the items we use save & subscribe for are potato chips, cereals, dishwasher detergent, vitamins. One can always skip a shipment too.

I agree I love Amazon and I don't care for WalMart. However I do shop there just because it is convenient.

Do you have a smart phone? You can compare prices that way. I always do. Amazon has an app that will let you scan the barcode of an item and it will search its database. You can then see the price Amazon has and see if it is worth it. I do it all the time! People must think I am nuts because I am scanning things.

I don't have a smart phone, but I sure would like the capability of scanning items in the store! :)

I had amazon mom prime for a trial period and loved it. We use netflix and have contemplated canceling our satellite and getting a roku. My dh looked at the tv/movie selection on amazon prime when it first started and was not impressed. Netflix is about to change its program, so we are really thinking about making some changes, too. I LOVE my dvr, so I am not sure I want to totally give that up, but I hate paying for redundant services.

A few of the things that I could locate prices for are cheaper at amazon. I noticed that walmart sells some of the same kitchen items for cheaper than amazon, so I wondered if that was the case with some of their office products.

I have contemplated trying the subscribe and save. Do you find that the grocery items are less than sale prices in regular grocery stores?

I've done comparison, and from what I can tell, they are about the same usually, especially once you consider that you don't pay tax on Amazon purchases. And I have an Amazon credit card, and I get 3x the points when I buy from Amazon. Really, they were about the same on most things, but Amazon is better more often than not.