Menu

Good biography series for logic stage?

Can anyone suggest a good series of biographies for the logic stage? dd liked reading these in elementary, so I'd like to find a more challenging series for her to move onto (and I say series only b/c that makes it easier than picking out individual titles, as they are usually roughly at the same level, style, etc).

She is 8th grade and can read high school level stuff easily, but this would be extra reading, and doesn't need to be at the challenge level, so a junior high series might be fine.

I'm not sure if these would be meaty enough for you, but my kids have really enjoyed the Signature Lives series. They probably started reading them in 5th. I'm still using them in 8th - true, they're not challenging at this stage, but I think they're well done, and if we did long challenging biographies on everyone, we'd never get through history! I do have them read other biographies on certain individuals that I may want more focus on, but these have been great to round things out without too much stress.

I'm not sure if these would be meaty enough for you, but my kids have really enjoyed the Signature Lives series. They probably started reading them in 5th. I'm still using them in 8th - true, they're not challenging at this stage, but I think they're well done, and if we did long challenging biographies on everyone, we'd never get through history! I do have them read other biographies on certain individuals that I may want more focus on, but these have been great to round things out without too much stress.

Thanks, I'll check those out. And that's it exactly: I'm looking for interesting yet not overly challenging series to round out some of our history studies. When I want more adult or challenging bios, I'll point them to my own shelf! :D

I'm going to try a few from Women's Adventures in Science. It's a series about current working scientists, and it has some personal bio aspects along with info on career tracks, etc. They are $10 each and eligible for Amazon's 4-for-3 promotion, so four of them for $30, not bad.

I'm going to try a few from Women's Adventures in Science. It's a series about current working scientists, and it has some personal bio aspects along with info on career tracks, etc. They are $10 each and eligible for Amazon's 4-for-3 promotion, so four of them for $30, not bad.

My library has that series and my dds have read a bunch of them and quite enjoyed them! I think they are well done.

Albert Marrin's books are mostly related to presidents or dictators and include a lot of history in them. My boys love them. We're reading Commander in Chief: Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War right now.

Fiona MacDonald has written a series entitled The World in the Time of (Charlemagne, etc.) These are not too lengthy and include tons of history, too.

We also like Genevieve Foster's World in the Time of series (Augustus Caesar, Columbus and Sons, Washington, etc.)

Can anyone suggest a good series of biographies for the logic stage? dd liked reading these in elementary, so I'd like to find a more challenging series for her to move onto (and I say series only b/c that makes it easier than picking out individual titles, as they are usually roughly at the same level, style, etc).

She is 8th grade and can read high school level stuff easily, but this would be extra reading, and doesn't need to be at the challenge level, so a junior high series might be fine.

We have a large collection of bios that we've picked up at library sales over the years.

Landmark biographies

Grossett & Dunlap bios, typically titled "The Story of [name]"

American Heritage set on the presidents (negative is that it ends around Kennedy, positive is that it has actual biography info on lots of presidents that aren't the big 3-5 names)

American Heritage Junior Library and Horizon Caravel books. They are more frequently topical than biographical, but there are some bios too and a lot of biographical info within the topical books. Again, they are older. Not old enough to have problematic language, but old enough to feature figures who have been pushed to the side over the years.