Menu

Sending DD20 off to Rome next week - Study abroad

Denise in Florida

My college junior will be studying in Rome this fall. I am both excited and nervous. She attends an in-state public honor's college here and they highly encourage study abroad. Most school's seem to these days. :001_smile:

The school seems to be a good match for her interests and requirement for her major.

I would love any prayers for safe travel and a good semester.

thanks for the best wishes and prayers.

Her home college here in Florida does not have majors, her areas of concentration are history and music. She will be required to write either a separate thesis (60 to 100 pages) for each or one longer combined thesis. At this point she plans to use the time in Rome to research Italian Opera history (impact of polictical climates on portrayal of historic characters).

The college she will be attending there (John Cabot University) is an American university, classes will be taught in English. She will take Italian, Art History, Opera and a class I don't remember :tongue_smilie:. Her dorm is within walking distance of both the Colosseum (spelling?) and the Vatican.

After the fall semester is over she will travel to Germany and do an immersion German course at the Goethe Institute.

I would love to visit but I doubt we will be able. :glare: I do plan to send her sister over for a week during the Christmas break, sister turns 18 in November and this would be a birthday gift.

Praying for her and you.

Ds1 spent last year abroad studying in England (I know -- a little different since everyone there speaks English, but still it's far away and a different culture.....) The year was a fantastic experience for him, as I am sure this year will be for your daughter.

Skype became rather popular at our house last year!

Praying for her and you.

Ds1 spent last year abroad studying in England (I know -- a little different since everyone there speaks English, but still it's far away and a different culture.....) The year was a fantastic experience for him, as I am sure this year will be for your daughter.

Skype became rather popular at our house last year!

yep, we have been practice skyping.

Denise;

Your dd's college is high on our list. What's it like? Does she enjoy it? Was it difficult to adjust to after homeschooling? DD is going for marine science and likes the fact that it has a marine lab close by, etc. Does your dd know any dancers that go there? Dd wants to continue ballet, modern in college.

So far I've liked the curriculum options and the study abroad possibilities. I wonder about the co-operative vs. competitive learning environment. Any thoughts on this? My dd likes a social learning situation (study groups, seminars) not a competitive individual grind situation (all alone in the libes for days on end). She has pretty good work habits and likes academic challenges.

Good luck to dd in Rome. It should be an "interesting time" to be in Europe these days. Hope she gets to know some real Italians. Does she get to use the Vatican Library? (Maybe not for opera?) I know you are so proud of her..............

Denise;

Your dd's college is high on our list. What's it like? Does she enjoy it? Was it difficult to adjust to after homeschooling? DD is going for marine science and likes the fact that it has a marine lab close by, etc. Does your dd know any dancers that go there? Dd wants to continue ballet, modern in college.

So far I've liked the curriculum options and the study abroad possibilities. I wonder about the co-operative vs. competitive learning environment. Any thoughts on this? My dd likes a social learning situation (study groups, seminars) not a competitive individual grind situation (all alone in the libes for days on end). She has pretty good work habits and likes academic challenges.

Good luck to dd in Rome. It should be an "interesting time" to be in Europe these days. Hope she gets to know some real Italians. Does she get to use the Vatican Library? (Maybe not for opera?) I know you are so proud of her..............

DD20 loves New College, it is a perfect fit for her. Having said that, it is definately not a standard college. :tongue_smilie: No GPAs, no grades (sat/unsat). The class sizes are small and the majority of held seminar style. The academics are extremely demanding, a course with a sat is considered a 4 credit class with an A for transfer purposes.

They do not really have athletics, they do have a quidditch team and they do an occasional football match with the Ringling Art College students (New College usually loses :lol:)

There is a strong student culture and identity among the students. There are only about 750 students total and the majority live on campus. They student hard all week and play hard on the weekends. They have a lot of parties (called 'walls', I think because of the sound system on the courtyard wall). The atmosphere is politically liberal. They are extremely interested in community service/political action. Many students are vegans. They do have a Jesus club. ETA: last year my daughter roomed in a 4 bedroom suite with an athetist, a buddist and another Christian; three girls one boy. The buddist was a freegan which is fairly common there (this is an awesome concept but some folks find it weird).

The grounds are gorgeous, the college is located right on the bay. They are on the old Ringling grounds and have access to the Ringling Art museum which is fantastic. There are lots of beautiful beaches nearby and the town of Sarasota has many things to see and do.

If your child likes this atmosphere and fits in (my girl does) they will enjoy the experience.

I can not stress enough however, the need to visit campus personally before deciding. The kids are smart and friendly but are a little 'odd'. :lol:

If you have any questions let me know.

Edited by Denise in Florida
edit: more variety of lifestyle information