Menu

Need guidance for a high school plan...

I'm feeling out-of-sorts since I loaned out my WTM book for the summer. It never occurred to me when I loaned it out that I may want it for reference for my recently graduated 8th-grader to prep for high school next fall. Help me sort out next year, please!

DS is self-motivated and has basically been self-directed the past few years while I've taught younger sibs. He is most of the way through Saxon Algebra I (no DVDs, he "got it" on his own by reading the text). He wants to be a pilot when he grows up. Fine, but he needs to prepare for another career + trade also.

He will be starting flying/glider lessons this summer (thank you, Grandma). We're also planning on getting the new Rosetta Stone for Spanish for him since he's planning a mission trip to Chile in the spring. He's already checked out several Spanish books from the library and has been learning a bit on his own. We have the old Rosetta demo, so we've tried that out a bit.

Do you know of any websites, links, or personal schedules for a 4-year college-prep schedule that will still allow plenty of free time for his music lessons and practice (he would practice all day if we allowed it) and flying, plus other interests.

It's been 6 years since I've had to teach/plan with a newborn in the mix, so I think I'm just nervous about what's going to happen this fall.

HomeOnTheRanch --

I think you might get more replies if you post more specific questions. ;) For general information on homeschooling through high school, this site is the best. You can scroll and read to your hearts content and generally will have very balanced information about the high school years.

Happy to help further --

Lisa

My son wants to play Division I hockey in college (and he's got a good chance to do so--he's been selected for all kinds of accolades and teams this year at 14)...we've found sites that specify the NCAA requirements for college--along the lines of "4 years of English, 3 years of math, 3 years of science, 2 years of language..." You might look on the NCAA sites...just google NCAA college requirements...

Making a list of a few colleges that would be possibilities for my children was helpful to me. I looked up their admission requirements, compared them to NY state requirements for homeschooling High School and made a list of classes that my girls would have to take. Then I divided the classes up by 4 years and made a plan based on that. Last, I added some electives that I knew my girls would be interested in and left some blank space for *Junior elective* and *Senior elective*, in case they developed new interests over time.

HTH!

...college-prep schedule that will still allow plenty of free time for his music lessons and practice (he would practice all day if we allowed it) and flying, plus other interests.

I'd say make the music lessons/practice and flying part of his high school requirements. Let them count as subjects. You can fit in math, science, history, language arts and foreign language around those, imo.