Menu

Quick - Should I remove small window air conditioners before Hurricane Irene?

You can cover the exterior portion with a large, heavy trash bag, taped to it, of course. If there is a chance of it leaking around the window, you might want to remove it.

We had one in a window that went through a cat 2 hurricane just fine. The roofline extended and covered it a little however.

I would turn the AC down now if you decide to leave it in, keep the house cool.

You don't want them to fall out the window with a strong gust of wind---I would remove now :grouphug:

I think you are right. I just need some motivation, as I am tired from all the other hurricane preps.

You can cover the exterior portion with a large, heavy trash bag, taped to it, of course. If there is a chance of it leaking around the window, you might want to remove it.

We had one in a window that went through a cat 2 hurricane just fine. The roofline extended and covered it a little however.

I would turn the AC down now if you decide to leave it in, keep the house cool.

Yes. we are cooling the house now. And I guess if the electricity goes off they won't be much use anyway.

If anyone has some a/c horror stories, please share! I am just sooo tired right now.... need a push in the right direction.

I don't know. We didn't remove ours. I don't see how they can fall out.

Neither do I, But I don't want to find out.

I don't know what kind of winds you're expecting, but an airtight house suffers less wind damage. That's more along the lines of what I was thinking.

Northern Nj -- it sounds like Irene will be Category 1. Hmm, house will be more airtight w/o a/c. Good point.

We took ours out to avoid water leaking in.

Another good point -- hadn't thought about horizontal rain coming in.

OK. You all inspired me. First a/c is out, taking rest out.

THANKS!

But, weirdly, Mayor Bloomberg told people not to take out window a/c. It sounds as though he is afraid that they'll fall on pedestrians.