Menu

Are the History of US study guides by Oxford worthwhile?

Tami

I am looking for teaching notes, vocabulary, critical thinking discussion questions, and comprehension checks. I started to write my own study guide, and got sick of it quickly. :D

If you've seen or used these, what is your opinion? This would be for sixth grade, and we are doing 3 Hakim books this year.

Personally I think they are, now some think they are a waste of time. I like to have some stuff lined out like that for me, to make it a little easier sometimes.

Now you can find them used on amazon and such, but either way they are pricey.

Personally I think they are, now some think they are a waste of time. I like to have some stuff lined out like that for me, to make it a little easier sometimes.

Now you can find them used on amazon and such, but either way they are pricey.

With my dd moving into the Logic stage, I suddenly would like a study guide. As far as pricey, I didn't think $18 was that bad, considering it would save me hours and hours of writing my own guide!

Did you like the writing ideas? How was the map work?

The mapping activity book that goes with the Churchill american history text (I forget the title, maybe Short Course in American History?) is good. The publisher has an extensive sample online that I printed out and have let get buried on my desk, sorry. It's similar in structure to the KQ maps, but the activities and scale of the maps are more appropriate to older kids. I think the target is 6th up, not sure.

PS. Have you looked for the core 100 notes on hakim? There might be copies of just the Hakim notes floating around. If you had that plus the churchill maps, you'd be good to go. I just got that Interdisciplinary book of activities TOG cites in the activities book list for the year 2 sample, and it's got tons of cool stuff. Some things are worksheets (don't know if you want those) but then there are games, cooking, etc. Might be a bit young, and I just realized you were looking for comp stuff, not activities, never mind.

The mapping activity book that goes with the Churchill american history text (I forget the title, maybe Short Course in American History?) is good. The publisher has an extensive sample online that I printed out and have let get buried on my desk, sorry. It's similar in structure to the KQ maps, but the activities and scale of the maps are more appropriate to older kids. I think the target is 6th up, not sure.

PS. Have you looked for the core 100 notes on hakim? There might be copies of just the Hakim notes floating around. If you had that plus the churchill maps, you'd be good to go. I just got that Interdisciplinary book of activities TOG cites in the activities book list for the year 2 sample, and it's got tons of cool stuff. Some things are worksheets (don't know if you want those) but then there are games, cooking, etc. Might be a bit young, and I just realized you were looking for comp stuff, not activities, never mind.

Hi OhElizabeth,

The mention of the Churchill book throws me off! Are we talking about the same guide?

Do you have a link for online samples? I am not having luck finding any samples.

PS - I just saw your edit. No, for the first time in my life I am NOT looking for activities or "fun stuff." I want vocabulary, writing ideas, and critical thinking questions. Egads - I never thought that day would come! LOL!

TIA!

Tami, look here to see what they say about the History of US teacher guides and another good resource for 6th grade and up. Also, I think the "For Further Study" questions, mapwork, and notebooking pages included in the All American History Student Activity book and also the information included in the AAH Teacher's Guide would be a wonderful complement to the Hakim books. You can see samples of AAH stuff at BrightIdeasPress.com and ChristianBooks.com. The frugal side of me has considered this option for my ds instead of WP since I already own the AAH Vol 1 set. Good luck figuring something out! P.S. Have you moved away from using hands-on stuff b/c your dd is in the Logic stage now or b/c she just doesn't like it? Just curious.

Tami, look here to see what they say about the History of US teacher guides and another good resource for 6th grade and up. Also, I think the "For Further Study" questions, mapwork, and notebooking pages included in the All American History Student Activity book and also the information included in the AAH Teacher's Guide would be a wonderful complement to the Hakim books. You can see samples of AAH stuff at BrightIdeasPress.com and ChristianBooks.com. The frugal side of me has considered this option for my ds instead of WP since I already own the AAH Vol 1 set. Good luck figuring something out!

Thanks for the link! These guides are exactly what I'm looking for. You know, when I saw AAH, it didn't click with me. I just purchased one of the Oxford student workbook elementary guides for "Reconstructing America" and an Oxford teachers guide for "Age of Extremes."

The student workbooks are only $9.95 - what does your thrifty side say about that? : )

Thanks again for the link -- it put me over the edge!!!

Thanks for the link! These guides are exactly what I'm looking for. You know, when I saw AAH, it didn't click with me. I just purchased one of the Oxford student workbook elementary guides for "Reconstructing America" and an Oxford teachers guide for "Age of Extremes."

The student workbooks are only $9.95 - what does your thrifty side say about that? : )

Thanks again for the link -- it put me over the edge!!!

My frugal side says, "That's a good deal!!" Hee Hee!! So glad you found the link helpful. All the best!

Tami, sorry I'm being lazy and don't have a link. Here's what I have in my notes. The publisher is Walch, ISBN 0825143497, $25, US History Map Activities by Churchill. The samples are on the publisher website and pretty extensive. They're a pdf, so you can print them off. My desk is buried with american history junk right now, so I don't know exactly where my samples are to tell you more or give you a better link.

I just got that Interdisciplinary book of activities TOG cites in the activities book list for the year 2 sample, and it's got tons of cool stuff. Some things are worksheets (don't know if you want those) but then there are games, cooking, etc. Might be a bit young...

OhElizabeth, what's the ISBN for this book? (Or the title). It sounds interesting.