Menu

All About Spelling/Reading Questions

Jamauk

Hi All!

I have some questions about AAS/AAR ~ my older son (3rd grade) went to K at the local ps and was originally taught a mixture of phonics/whole language (don't get me started, grrrr). Anyway, he's a good reader (and horrible speller), but if he stumbles upon a word he doesn't know he just guesses ~ I've been trying for two years to get him to sound them out or at least use context to try to figure it out, but he always reverts back to guessing.

I also have a son starting K this year and we've been working on basic phonics over the last year (he went to private preschool).

I've decided to start both kids on AAS1 ~ I know my older son will fly through it, but I really think it'll be best to start him at the very beginning to get his mind thinking about the phonics aspect.

So, here are my questions ~ What should I buy? I plan to do mostly ala carte purchasing because I really don't need another tote bag and I'm not all that interested in the CD ROM. I'll have two kids using the program and even though we'll be starting at the same level, I don't think they'll stay at the same level for long. Suggestions?

Second question is ~ I'm considering All About Reading in addition to AAS for my Kinder, but I can't find a lot of reveiws/info about it (as it's still quite new). I'm torn between this option or just using AAS and the OPGTR.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

~Jessica

**who really needs to find time to update her avatar and signature!**

For AAS, I would get:

Level 1 Set

Level 2 Set (because your oldest will go through 1 in about a month probably)

2 sets of Divider cards (so you can set up a customized review box for both of them)

Letter Tiles (1 set is fine)

Magnets

If you want the boxes, get 2, otherwise pick something up locally. The Sterilite section has inexpensive options that work fine.

I prefer to have a materials packet for each child because it makes it easier if we need to pull an older card out and review it again. All of the Sound, Phonogram, and Key cards will be reviewed 2 times per level, and if you have a child who struggles with spelling you may need to review them more often. But if you want to try to share the packets, take your oldest through first, and then pass the cards on to your youngest when he's ready to start, knowing you'll want to borrow back cards for the mastered review sections.

As to where to start your K-er, I'd probably think about where he is with the Big Five Skills that the author includes in the materials: Print Awareness, Phonological Awareness, Letter Knowledge, Listening Comprehension, and Motivation to Read. Does he notice print around him? Does he know how some letters look different in different places (several ways to write a small "a" depending on the font in a book, or the letter "g" and so on.)? Can he easily identify first and last sounds in a word, understands rhyming, knows the first sounds for all of the letters? Do you want to work on fine motor skills through the activities (includes cutting, gluing, stamping, painting, coloring, and so on)?

If some of those are things you want to work on, then take a look at the online samples--here's the link for the Teacher's Manual, and you can read through some of the lessons and see what you think.

AAR Pre-1 would actually be used before AAS Level 1--so that might also work in your plans if you are wanting to take your oldest through AAS 1 first.

Hope this helps as you decide what's best for your kids! Merry :-)

Thank you for your reply. Ok, after rereading every word on her website (for the 32,876th time!) I think I've *finally* made a decision!

Are all curriculum changes this stressful?!? LOL!!

I'm going to get what you suggested for AAS ~ with a student materials pack for each child ~ so they'll each have their own boxes of cards.

I'm going to start my youngest on Pre Level 1 for AAR, he has most of the basics down, but I think reviewing it all will not only reinforce his understanding for reading, but it will also supplement his speech therapy quite nicely.

Thanks again for your input. :001_smile:

My DD (5) also has some speech problems - articulation delays, and AAR Pre-1 has been very helpful for her actually. Those phonological awareness skills weren't very strong for her, and they've been improving so nicely :) It's also super fun, so enjoy!

I would start my older ds on Level one and work with him to get through level one before starting younger kid. Within a few weeks or months, he will probably be on to level two and then you can start level one with younger ds. Most likely, you would be at different levels the whole time and wouldn't need to worry about buying more student packs.