Menu

Speech Therapy?

I took my ds(8) to the dentist today and he said he has a tongue thrust and that perhaps seeing a speech therapist would help to prevent him from pushing his top teeth out. He has been going to the dentist since age 3 and no one has ever said anything like this to me before. This dentist is new because he can no longer go to the children's dentist with his state health insurance. I do not know anything about speech therapy or whether he could even go to since he is home schooled. It really through the dentist for a loop when I told him we home school. Just want to add that he has no issues with his speech just a really long tongue. In fact he can touch his nose with it.:lol: Any thoughts on this?

Edited by twoxcell

Hi! My daughter completed the tongue thrust program when she last 8 (last year). She did it for speech reasons. She also has a very long tongue and can put it up her nose. It's totally gross.

If possible, I'd just pay for a private speech evaluation and get someone who knows what they are doing. Don't go through the school. Plus, they wouldn't normally have a tongue thrust expert anyway. A lot of private insurances will pay for one speech evaluation per year. Just call your insurance company. Oh, and you mentioned "state health insurance." If you are referring to Medicaid, then they most certainly should pay for the evaluation. This is what we have because we adopted through foster care.

The tongue thrust program is VERY intense. We had up to an hour of homeswork each day. You are retraining a muscle, so it's like physical therapy (it is PT, actually).

Yes, it's very common for dentists to refer kids to the tongue thrust program, according to our SLP. Even if there is no speech problem, a lot of these kids push on their two front teeth when they swallow, causing orthodontic problems.

If you want more specifics about what the therapy entails, please feel free to PM me. I have a friend who is a SLP and she feels like the tongue thrust therapy is "out of date." All I know is it did wonders for my daughter. She doesn't hang her tongue out at all anymore and she chews and swallows much better. I'm hoping she won't have to have so much dental work now, as well.

(Sorry if my spelling is off today- my spell check isn't working and I really don't want to proofread. :) )

We've only been denied through Medicaid once for speech. Their reason? Get this: She wasn't bad enough!!! I felt like calling them and putting her on the phone so they could try to have a conversation with her. I was so mad.

Luckily the hospital had another program. I felt SO guilty about taking advantage of it, but they insisted she come every week and it would have been $500 a month! We could have done that when I worked, but not while I'm staying home and hsing to try to meet all of her therapy needs. Ugh! It's neverending.

Tongue thrust, also known as a reverse swallow, is totally treatable. You do need to find an SLP that has experience in this area. The therapy is intense, but it works rather quickly.

If cost is a concern, check into the local hospitals for an outpatient speech clinic. Medicaid typically pays for speech/swallowing therapy. Check online for a Scottish Rite Speech and Language Clinic. These clinics are located across the country and provide therapy services for free. Also, check the universities in your area. If they have a Communicative Disorders or Speech Pathology program they likely have a speech clinic. The therapy is planned and executed by graduate students, but completely supervised by professors. Services are typically free or on a sliding scale.

I had tongue thrust therapy when I was 12. Lots of homework.

If you have regular medicaid, it does better insurance wise. I *hate* the foster care medicaid. My kids aren't getting some therapies they should because we have it rather than traditional medicaid (what they will get when adopted) and I can't put them on my insurance until they are ours. GRRRR For speech, for example, the foster care medicaid requires a child to be in the lowest 13%. BTW, this is better than the school which requires the lowest 7%.

I had tongue thrust therapy when I was 12. Lots of homework.

If you have regular medicaid, it does better insurance wise. I *hate* the foster care medicaid. My kids aren't getting some therapies they should because we have it rather than traditional medicaid (what they will get when adopted) and I can't put them on my insurance until they are ours. GRRRR For speech, for example, the foster care medicaid requires a child to be in the lowest 13%. BTW, this is better than the school which requires the lowest 7%.

That's odd. In Utah, our medicaid didn't change at all from fostering to adopting. It's interesting how it can all vary so much from state to state.