Menu

Packing DH lunch

I have to get better at packing DH lunch. Poor DH is a foodie but with 4 kids, meals here are pretty utilitarian; his lunch is usually a cheap slice of pizza across the street from his office :glare:. I've been drooling over the Bento pictures on the internet. I don't think I could ever do something that fancy but it has made me realize that there are lots of fun containers out there. He has access to a freezer, fridge and microwave. Anybody do fun grown-up lunches? What containers should I get?

I don't do the Bento lunches. I'm just sure to cook extra dinner so he has leftovers for lunch. We always have chili frozen in small containers in case we don't have enough extra leftovers.

Our meals are all boring, quick, kid-friendly things. I'd like to do something nicer for his lunches since the poor guy loves food and doesn't get much beyond the basics at dinner.

I don't do the Bento lunches. I'm just sure to cook extra dinner so he has leftovers for lunch.

This is what I do. I have some Corning ware 2cup with cover dishes that I use and we always have 1-2 kinds of fruit. I like to have something baked also but that doesn't always happen. I put the left over in the corning when I am cleaning up after supper so in the morning it is easy to pull it from the fridge, toss a couple of pieces of fruit and a goody in the lunch pail. It is good to remember tinsels also. Ask me how I know. :001_huh:

I really want some bento boxes. I love them! I went to the library to see what kinds of things went in them. Some books showed the really fancy things, but one actually encourage arranging leftovers from the night before in a pretty way, maybe with some little touches such as flower carrots or cheese (just use a cookie cutter on a thin piece of either).

Dh would roll his eyes and laugh his rear end off at me if I tried packing a lunch for him with cute little bento winking rice balls and other cutesie things, LOL. :tongue_smilie:

Dh usually takes dinner leftovers. I also keep a small supply of Kashi frozen meals in the freezer- if he's running late or we don't have anything else that he feels like eating he can always grab one of those plus a piece of fruit on his way out the door in the morning.

In general though I never pack his lunch. He'd probably be pretty offended if I tried packing it for him- he'd much rather do it himself and make his own decisions about what he feels like eating on any given day.

I looked at those but they won't work if you want to heat up one section and keep the others cold. I love the Laptop Lunches but they are too expensive.

if the main part of the meal is what needs to be reheated, you can eat the side dishes first and then reheat. honestly though, it's never been a problem for us