Menu

First Grade Math Fact Question

originalkat

My 1st grader is using CLE Math. We really love it so far (we are on week 2). But, she is having a hard time memorizing her math facts. I always had a hard time with math facts growing up and no one made me learn them so I am determined not to let that happen with my kids.

But, I dont want to go overboard and stress her out either. My question is, is it okay for her to use her fingers or objects to add the numbers or should she just know them "by heart" or both? Also, are there any tricks for memorizing facts with kids when it doesn't come naturally to them?

So far we have learned:

1+1=2

2+1=3

1+2=3

3+1=4

1+3=4

1+4=5

Thanks Ladies!

Katie

Is your sig correct that she's 5? Even if she's 6 now, I wouldn't expect memorization at early first grade. Aim to have the addition/subtraction facts memorized by the end of 2nd grade. You have plenty of time. Just work on them regularly. She can use fingers or objects now. As she uses the facts more, she'll probably start to memorize them.

We also use Xtramath.org for facts practice, but I would caution against using it with a 5 year old or a young 6 year old who is just learning the facts. They are supposed to type the answer within 3 seconds to demonstrate mastery, and that's difficult when you aren't used to typing period. My 7 year old is doing decently, but the typing aspect trips him up sometimes, even though he knows his addition/subtraction facts pretty well (we're doing it to review them and to cement the multiplication/division facts).

Week 2? Don't worry about it, and let her use those fingers or hand her some Legos. :) It takes time and many repetitions to memorize them. If she isn't holding a good chunk of them in her brain 3/4 into the year, sign her up for XtraMath.org.

My son learned his by flash cards and saying things like... One more than 2 is 3 so 1+2=3, then 2+1=3, two more then 3 is five so 2+3=5 and so on.. I had him go over the doubles a lot before he got them down. We did a lot of oral work with our addition. Don't get me wrong he still misses some, but is doing a lot better.

We also use the One less then, or two less then and so on. My child is a very hear it, say it and then see it he knows it kind of kid.

Oh, my signature is not updated. She is 6 years old. But thank you for all of your suggestions. I am going to leave some little math manips near her when she does her math facts so that she can use them or her fingers if need be. You all are right...I need to keep end goals in mind.

THANKS!

Teaching math by memorizing "math facts" is the worst possible approach.

Young children need something to hang their hats on. "Math facts" are too abstract in isolation.

Dr Joan Cotter, the author of RightStart Math, has written (and had/has?) a flash movie on her website demonstrating the point) about using the numerical value of the alphabet (A=1, B=2,C=3, and so on) as an analogy for adults.

I might (would :D) get A+B=C, but how about Q-J? Not so easy. This is what it is like for a young child. Drilling them to memorize these "facts" when they are abstractions can lead to (at best) retained facts that have no context, and at worst these means cause stress and anxiety (because they are not developmentally appropriate means of learning).

When a child develops "math anxiety" from the start (as is common with this awful method of math instruction) they usually feel like they are "bad" at math, feel stupid, and quickly grow to hate the subject. It is a very bad way to start.

Counting is another bad method. Work on "seeing groups" Small groups at first. You can use objects but don't count them. See them as a group.

If there are 2 and 1 more comes along, how many are there now?

Three?

That's right, very good. 2 plus one equals 3.

Now if we have 3 and 2 go away (remove 2 objects) how many are left?

One!

Oh you are very good at this!

When you get past 5 you group around 5 plus. 7 is 5 and 2.

When you get past 10 it is 10 plus. 8+5 is 10+3.

I would urge you to change your methods before it is too late.

Bill

My son is using CLE first grade math this year. He is really quite bright in math, but he was tripped up along about week two, when he realized there would be more than two or three math facts to learn, and that he'd have to differentiate all of them. He's on LightUnit 103 now, and cruising right along. Trips up on a new fact for a few days, but there is so much practice in the program that he gets it down after a few days. You may just be seeing a normal learning curve....

We use Horizons Math. They use flashcards and have them say them outloud (they phase them in). At the beginning, they are saying the cards WITH the answers - so they are reading the problem AND the answer. Over time, you switch over to the ones without answers and it worked very well and my son knew them. I've started this with my daughter and it just seems to work well with my kids.

My son who is a 1st grader does AMAZING with MUS blocks. I LOVE those! He is my SN kiddo but I am planning on teaching his little brother who is not SN the same way just because it works so well for my 1st grader!

He needs to be able to see the combinations and with MUS blocks he does. We also have c-rods but without the little block pictures on each rod its hard for him to visualize. I think that is just due to his SN I think my k'er will do fine with c-rods. Maybe thats what your dd needs. Something to visualize why those numbers added and taken away are what they are.

MUS blocks are a LIFESAVER for teaching place value as well! Absolutely hands down! He can SEE why 11 is 1 ten and 1 one. He can SEE why 24 is 2 tens and 4 ones and count them if needed.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I agree with Bill. (Big surprise!)

I gave my daughter Cuisenaire rods and had them on the table for every math lesson. If she didn't know a math fact off the top of her head, she could either build the problem with rods, or I would help her reason from one she already knew. ("You know that 2+2 is 4, so 2+3 would be...")

It took a while for her to learn all the facts to 20, but boy, did she develop fantastic number sense! She really understood, in a deep way, what it means to put numbers together and take them apart. That mathematical reasoning skill is so important as a foundation.

And she did eventually learn all the facts while we were doing first grade math. Lots of practice building the equations with manipulatives is what did it. We never used flash cards, although we did, towards the end, do a lot of practice with math games to help build speed.

Counting is another bad method. Work on "seeing groups" Small groups at first. You can use objects but don't count them. See them as a group.

When you get past 5 you group around 5 plus. 7 is 5 and 2.

When you get past 10 it is 10 plus. 8+5 is 10+3.

I would urge you to change your methods before it is too late.

Bill

:iagree: Whatever one's opinion about the MUS curriculum, I do really like using MUS blocks. The kids don't see 3 discreet units--they see a pink 3 bar.

I will say, though, that there is just no telling how long it's going to take a kid to have math facts in their brain for quick recall. I have two young kids that wake up in the morning and run out to tell me a math fact that they figured out while they were playing with legosand then I have one that looks at me blankly when we go over basic facts that she has studied for 3 years.

Bill, what do you recommend for the parent to stay calm and collected while a beloved dc takes a long time to learn math facts.....

Bill, what do you recommend for the parent to stay calm and collected while a beloved dc takes a long time to learn math facts.....

This is the real question and I'd love ideas. :D

My DS knows the groups and then doesn't. I'm not sure if it's intentional or if this is completely normal this age. I'm trying to just let it drop and move on to something else reminding myself that the switch with return to it's on position eventually .. we'll review again tomorrow with blocks. He likes to pretend we have a gas tank that can hold the total amount of units and by looking at how many units are "in" it he has to figure out how many more units we will need to fill it up. Hey, he is rarely turned on by math so whatever story gets him into it works for me. :tongue_smilie:

Mike's Hard Lemonade :D

In all seriousness, as I just said in another thread realize this is a process. It is like learning to read. You work on the little skills, you endure the pain of hearing: "Mat sat, Sam sat, the Cat on the Mat Sat" sounded out over and over again with beaming pride on ones face (and an inner-longing that the torture will end :tongue_smilie:).

And in time they learn to read. Same with patiently working math strategies vs just memorizing math facts. The latter can give one a false illusion of competence, but it is not the real deal. To really understand the number system and how to manipulate numbers as wholes and parts takes time. But the time pays off.

Bill

This is the real question and I'd love ideas. :D

My DS knows the groups and then doesn't. I'm not sure if it's intentional or if this is completely normal this age. I'm trying to just let it drop and move on to something else reminding myself that the switch with return to it's on position eventually .. we'll review again tomorrow with blocks. He likes to pretend we have a gas tank that can hold the total amount of units and by looking at how many units are "in" it he has to figure out how many more units we will need to fill it up. Hey, he is rarely turned on by math so whatever story gets him into it works for me. :tongue_smilie:

Stories are awesome! Exploit this!!!

Most especially, have him explain "why" he has an answer. This (how and why he has a reason for his answer) is the critical thing, not just getting it "right." Encourage (and demand if necessary) that he tell you the story of how he arrived at his solutions. And try to sound impressed ! :D

Bill

We use mus alpha for the first half of 1st because I like the way they go through each group(adding ones, adding 2,making 9, etc). We switch to Singapore after they finish the addition section of the book. I also have them do the math drill on the math u see website. I really like it for 1st because it's not timed and you can choose to do one group at a time. You might want to use the order they have listed on the drill page and just take it one group at a time using manipulative's. Here is a website with some tips like 9 wanting to be 10. I use the xtra math drill after they have the concept of adding and subtraction and know strategies for figuring out the answer first.

Edited by blessedmom4god
spelling : )

Mike's Hard Lemonade :D

In all seriousness, as I just said in another thread realize this is a process. It is like learning to read. You work on the little skills, you endure the pain of hearing: "Mat sat, Sam sat, the Cat on the Mat Sat" sounded out over and over again with beaming pride on ones face (and an inner-longing that the torture will end :tongue_smilie:).

And in time they learn to read. Same with patiently working math strategies vs just memorizing math facts. The latter can give one a false illusion of competence, but it is not the real deal. To really understand the number system and how to manipulate numbers as wholes and parts takes time. But the time pays off.

Bill

This might be my favorite post of all time. :D

Stories are awesome! Exploit this!!!

Most especially, have him explain "why" he has an answer. This (how and why he has a reason for his answer) is the critical thing, not just getting it "right." Encourage (and demand if necessary) that he tell you the story of how he arrived at his solutions. And try to sound impressed ! :D

Bill

It is much more likely that he'll stare at me blankly if confronted with say .. 4+3=? or ?+3=7 but if it is a story he will frequently figure it out in his head. It seems like his big hang up on math is what the point of it all is (so he'll either get testy or make up a story to give reason to be messing with this stuff). Numbers without a story leads to conflict, I've noticed. Is this a developmental phase or just a type of person/learning style (his preference is for language - writing, spelling, grammar - not numbers)?

It is much more likely that he'll stare at me blankly if confronted with say .. 4+3=? or ?+3=7 but if it is a story he will frequently figure it out in his head. It seems like his big hang up on math is what the point of it all is (so he'll either get testy or make up a story to give reason to be messing with this stuff). Numbers without a story leads to conflict, I've noticed. Is this a developmental phase or just a type of person/learning style (his preference is for language - writing, spelling, grammar - not numbers)?

I don't know, but my son loves stories too. Loves them!!!

When we stated the math sums greater than Ten, I made up an inconsequential story about two numbers walking in the woods. One desperately wanted to be a Ten. The other (being a good sort) gave up (x) to allow the first to realize his dreams. Then they became partners.

Well, darn it all, if I didn't have to repeat variations of this "story" hundreds of times as the last thing my son wanted to talk about before he fell asleep.

As a total side-note, the free (old) ebook called Grammarland and MCT may be something to consider when you start Language Arts.

Bill

I don't know, but my son loves stories too. Loves them!!!

When we stated the math sums greater than Ten, I made up an inconsequential story about two numbers walking in the woods. One desperately wanted to be a Ten. The other (being a good sort) gave up (x) to allow the first to realize his dreams. Then they became partners.

Well, darn it all, if I didn't have to repeat variations of this "story" hundreds of times as the last thing my son wanted to talk about before he fell asleep.

As a total side-note, the free (old) ebook called Grammarland and MCT may be something to consider when you start Language Arts.

Bill

Thank-you for the recommendations (I'm almost certain I have Grammarland on my Kindle .. will be checking that out) and for the story - I may use that! Meanwhile .. I've been trying to avoid MCT so I'm debating with myself whether to check it out again or to put my fingers in my ears and run along singing "lalalalalala" at the top of my (mental) lungs.

Thank-you for the recommendations (I'm almost certain I have Grammarland on my Kindle .. will be checking that out) and for the story - I may use that! Meanwhile .. I've been trying to avoid MCT so I'm debating with myself whether to check it out again or to put my fingers in my ears and run along singing "lalalalalala" at the top of my (mental) lungs.

MCT has been amazing here. We love it. My just turned 7 year old (who had almost no grammar (or LA) experience) has learned a simply incredible amount in the past 5 weeks. And, he likes it!

Bill