Menu

Question about girls and puberty.

My 9.5 yo dd had her annual check up on Friday, and the doctor said she was getting some hair "down there." No breast buds, and probably wouldn't arrive anytime soon, she needs to develop "more hair" first.

Dr. asked when I started menstruating... I was 13.5 yo (summer before starting 8th grade). Dr. indicated dd would probably be younger than that... maybe 11.5 or 12 (average is 12).

I thought it was about 2 years from the development of breast buds? FWIW, I didn't start wearing a training bra until I was in the 6th grade, so I'm kinda discounting the idea of 11.5 -- since those are not even on the horizon for her yet. Am I wrong to think that she'll probably be closer to 12.5 or 13?

We do have the "Care and Keeping of You" book, dd has read it, but we haven't discussed it.

She's not showing any emotional signs of puberty (unlike my ds who became very emotional before anything else, and this is my EMOTIONAL daughter), nor has she gotten the typical growth spurt (she actually dropped from the 40th percentile for height to the 20th, while her younger ds jumped to the 60th).

Please... please... tell me that my little girl still has time. :001_smile:

ETA -- looked up Tanner Scales... sounds like she is still in Stage I

Edited by LisaK in VA

There is no absolute way to know. There are signs which can indicate a possible timetable, but they don't tell the whole story. Each girl is different and things will happen.... eventually. Once those signs are in place it could be a couple months to a couple years. There are younger and older ends of normal.

I really think once signs start showing it is time to work on preparation. Read that book with your dd. Answer her questions. Get her some supplies and allow her to open the box and figure out how the supplies work.

It is completely unpredictable. We would see girls in our peds practice who looked like little girls, then six months later...weren't. It is very individual and in some girls it takes years for everything to fall into place developmentally and in others it happens at warp speed. Since she is showing signs of puberty, it could happen anywhere from age 10 onward. I doubt she'll start later than age 12 if she's already developing. I'm leaning toward 10.5 to 11.5.

I don't know. But just to throw it out there, my daughter's doctor does not look "down there" when my daughter gets an annual checkup! (My daughter is almost 11). I wouldn't think it necessary for a doctor to be looking "down there" unless 1) it's a gynecologist or 2) parent/child are complaining of a problem "down there."

Maybe it's just me?

I don't know. But just to throw it out there, my daughter's doctor does not look "down there" when my daughter gets an annual checkup! (My daughter is almost 11). I wouldn't think it necessary for a doctor to be looking "down there" unless 1) it's a gynecologist or 2) parent/child are complaining of a problem "down there."

Maybe it's just me?

I agree. My dd is 9 1/2 also, and I would not let her go in for her checkups by herself.

We have a woman dr. When giving a physical, she had dd lay on the table, and pulls her pants down just enough to feel around her belly button/abdomen. It's quick, but there's a chance to see a little.

I don't think this is weird.

I do stay in with my kids until they are about 15 or so (but step out if there's more private area stuff, which there wasn't until then).