Natural Progesterone  

1. 1. Natural Progesterone

• I have been taking it longer then 6 months
    • I have been taking it shorter then 6 months
    • I take it and love it and have no side effects would highly recommend
    • I tried it and horrible side effects would not recommend
    • I tried it and stopped and had horrible side effects
    • I tried it and stopped and had no side effects from stopping

I would like to try Emereta Progesterone Cream. My GYN told me last year that he supports his patients who would like to try this.

Unfortunately, I heard a horrifying story about a woman who was taking NP, and the fat built up so when she had to have blood drawn, she couldn't. Fact? Fiction? I don't know.

I know that my progesterone drops around day 18-19 of my cycle because my bOOks are so sore, then about day 22-24 I will start spotting, and around day 26-27, I get my cycle. Last about 5-6 days. Heavier bleeding on day 2, but light on days 3-6.

I am still going to discuss the Novasure option with my GYN, because I am just SICK of spotting for 3-5 days prior, and it seems like I just get done with my period, and it starts all over again. But I want to try the least invasive routes first.

Mirena was a failure. BLEH

Chasteberry Vitex made my stomach upset. Couldhave been coincedence as I was on another new med at the time.

So my last two options would be Nat. Progesterone, or Mini Pill.

If I didn't have this spotting, I wouldn't care. I can deal with my periods with no problem. But I HATE the indecision of my body. If I am going to get my period, let's just get it and get it done. Nevermind this pre-game show, KWIM?

This is why I am hesitant still about Novasure. It is only because I spot every month.(For about 3 years now). I am going to be 44. My mother went through menopause at 48.

So I am leaving up a poll............on who tkes NP and how long etc....

Could you also add what brand you are taking, and specifically, if it helped with spotting.

Edited by dancer67

I would try the progesterone cream.

I used it for a couple of years and loved it- it made all the difference ot me. However I took half the recommended dose, and only in the evenings- it was enough for me.

I stopped - I think it had built up in my system- I just felt to stop it and found my cycles much easier to handle even after I stopped. They still are.

I didn't vote because I guess I am an "other."

I took it and it worked, mostly without side effects.

That said, it took me some time to find the sweet spot as far as usage was concerned. At one point, I was grossly overusing it, and had very obvious side effects such as water retention, nausea, and lactation. (I only continued using it because these seemed like pregnancy symptoms to me - and it is unwise to suddenly stop using progesterone at the beginning of a pregnancy.) After numerous negative tests, I stopped the progesterone. Things went back to normal pretty quickly. Once I cut it back to just a fingertip, once per day, I found myself with a healthier cycle overall.

I still had spotting, but it was later in the cycle, and so I would stop taking the progesterone when the spotting started. My period would start right after. The longer I took it, the more normal everything got...

I took it for well over a year, and into my pregnancy.

I am using it now, and have been for about 6 months. I know I have very low Progesterone levels. I can not stay pregnant without taking a fairly high dose.

I'm taking the cream now, and it helps SO much with hot flashes, rage, sleeplessness, and breast tenderness. I have noticed that I can not lose weight on it. if I eat what would normally make me lose, I can maintain, so I'm going to stay on it, and see if that side effect goes away as my hormones level out.

I will try only taking it at night. that might help.

On the other hand, my skin is so clear now that I only need a little powder instead of foundation. I am much happier, so I think I need to stick with it a little longer.

I used Emerita for a while, but I don't think it helped any of my peri-menopausal symptoms. I have never had spotting, so can't help you there. Acupuncture helped more.

I read a menopause book by Susun Weed, and one of the things she said that made sense to me was something like progesterone comes from the Latin pro(for) and gestation(pregnancy). A woman going through menopause won't be getting pregnant again, so supporting pregnancy doesn't make sense.

Maybe it is just me, but it doesn't seem that there are many women who have spotting prior to their periods? Is this rare?

I had all the tests done, including thyroid, endo biopsy etc..and nothing.

So the only explanation I can think of is low progesterone?