Menu

The Smurfs movie

I remember watching Smurfs when I was a kid, but I wouldn't let my kids watch it (and this is coming from someone who has a home business of selling Smurf figurines and small animal toys). We bought the first season of the Smurfs TV show and popped it into the DVR to let the kids watch it. We turned it off about 5 minutes later. All the name calling!!

My go to reviews for movies is Kids In Mind....here's the review of the movie from them: http://www.kids-in-mind.com/s/smurfs3d.htm

We saw it. It wasn't great. There's a LOT of potty humor in it. There's also a lot of story line that's boring for littles - the two main characters are having a baby and Neil Patrick Harris' character spends a lot of time talking about work (in marketing). DS kept asking me during these parts when it was going to be over.

It has some scary moments in it too. DS was ok other than asking if Papa Smurf would get away (he surrenders to Gargamel and is "tortured" to save other Smurfs), but DD's friend (7.5) who saw it with us was scared by it. There's a lot of talk of magic and they visit an antique book store looking for a magic spell book they need to go home. They also cast a spell to open a portal to get home. Gargamel wants to trap the Smurfs to collect their tears and hair to use in a magical wand (also from the bookstore) that will give him more power. These weren't issues for us, but I know some here have issues with magic.

My biggest issue was the potty humor honestly. Like Gargamel going into a porta potty thinking he could use it as a laboratory and then talking about the "cauldron" and the bad magic that must have made the smell. It just seemed over the top and tasteless to me.

ETA: we only saw it because DS had a broken arm, it's 105 here every day, and his ortho said he could't spend any time outside for the month he was in the cast. So I was desperate for indoor things to do and they asked to see it at a weak moment. :)

Edited by Hill Country Classical Academy