Menu

D.C. lunch questions

We are taking our first big family vacation in a couple of weeks. We will be spending two days (a Saturday and Sunday) in D.C.

Dh and I are trying to figure out our food budget. What should we plan on doing for lunch when we are in D.C.?? We thought about packing a light lunch in his small messenger bag. I see on the Smithsonian website they request to not bring "small daypacks, backpacks, or luggage..." into the museums. Would a small messenger bag be considered one of those??

I found a Safeway not too far from the National Mall. It's too far to walk but we'd probably spend as much in Metro fare + buying food at the store as we would if we just found a restaurant..??

If we venture one day over towards the Capitol building and Library of Congress we would like to try the Good Stuff Eatery. But that's a maybe stop since it's a bit of a walk from the museums at The Mall and such.

Help!!!

Ech, bring your lunch. They don't care. I bring a stuffed backpack and a bulging diaper bag and the Smithsonian guards are nice as can be.

There are also food carts in the streets where you can get a hotdog and a drink for $3 or $4.

AND this one isn't cheap--but it is worth every cent to eat at the National Museum of the American Indian restaurant. Wow.

Ech, bring your lunch. They don't care. I bring a stuffed backpack and a bulging diaper bag and the Smithsonian guards are nice as can be.

There are also food carts in the streets where you can get a hotdog and a drink for $3 or $4.

AND this one isn't cheap--but it is worth every cent to eat at the National Museum of the American Indian restaurant. Wow.

:iagree:

The Old Ebbitt Grill is a nice place and not too pricey, $7-12 for sandwiches/burgers type thing. There ARE more expensive things, but very reasonable.

Potbelly sandwich works is a great place to eat lunch and very cheap. There are a few within walking distance of the Mall.

I know where every McDonald's is within 5 blocks of the National Mall.:blushing:

We usually go to the museums without dh and I don't want to be hauling a ton of stuff the whole trip. The museums are expensive to eat at! My dd also is on a gluten-free diet, so that further limits where we can eat.

The Air & Space museum has the most reasonable food court if you do decide to eat a museum. They have a McDonald's, pizza, etc, but it costs more than the regular McDonald's a few blocks away.