Menu

Hmmmmm....not sure what I think about Pictures in Cursive...

BatmansWife

I've been interested in this for quite some time and was waiting until my dd was old enough to begin cursive. Sooooo....I got a used (but unused) copy of Pictures in Cursive B. I figured I'd get it (since it was a good deal) and that if I liked it I'd order Book A and the Primer. Welllll........I don't know. :confused: It is soooo thin! :001_huh: Seems like there isn't much here. There are 12 pictures and 12 pages of copywork; each copywork page has 5 sentences. So, that's 60 sentences. I guess that doesn't sound too bad. But....why does it feel like there is nothing to this book? :glare: Rainbow's price is $12.95 per book....which is like $1.00 something per copywork page/picture. I'm not sure if I want to use this series now or not. Does anyone else feel this way about PiC?

This is my 2nd attempt to try something from Queens. A few years ago I bought Language Lessons for Little Ones. I was very disappointed in that book. Similar type problem...very, very few pages, imo. :001_unsure:

I feel the same way. I looked and looked for a cursive program that Ariel would like and finally bought PiC Primer because it included picture study, and from what I could tell, the prints were beautiful. It came in and I was underwhelmed and disappointed. I love the idea, but I think they would be better if they were either less expensive or if they were combined, for example Primer+Book A or Primer+A+B, so it would be more likely to take up at least most of the school year. They say you're supposed to do one lesson a day, but at that pace, the 64 lessons in Primer would be finished in approximately 3 months. I don't want to have to spend nearly $40 a year for handwriting. Also, for the price, I expected the print quality to be much better than it is. The pictures look fine when viewed on the computer or at arms length, but are too pixilated for me when seen any closer.

I agree, I wish it was at least 18 weeks, or a whole year's worth of sentences in a book. I used Primer, A & B with my ds in K after he had learned the letter formations, and it was highly motivating for him, so I paid for it knowing that I would move him away from pictures asap. For 1st he's copying a line from a poem each day and illustrating it at the end of the week, which is perfect for him right now. That said, I don't think I'm going to offer the option to my dd ;)

Underwhelmed has been my experience with nearly everything I've tried/seen from Queens. It just seems way overpriced for what you get, especially since the descriptions paint a much different picture, IMO.

I was beginning to thing I was the only one who felt that way!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've tried Queens books twice now and been very disappointed. I feel like that quote...."Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." :glare: I guess I should have learned my lesson the first time. Well, I'm not gonna do it again. I might keep this book for awhile, and just use it as a picture study and ask the questions (which will probably last a month, if that). I have decided not to use PiC as our cursive books, but will go back to my other plan of using NAC.

Thanks everyone!

I agree there is not much to these books, but they are perfect for my older son. He knows how to write in cursive, but he still needs the practice. He goes through two books a year, one in the fall and one in the spring, just as a refresher.

PIC was the one book that as soon as I opened the box, I realized I'd made a mistake. I probably could have returned it, but figured I'd just use it anyway.

Besides it being so thin on actual cursive instruction, I actually am not a fan of the art. It's all pretty much the same... sappy, romantic 18th & 19th century (mostly) northern European art.

Saw this thread on my phone earlier and had to chime in before going to bed. :) I had bought HWOT cursive for my dd at the end of this year because my daughter said she was ready to learn cursive. I got it home and she looked at it and said, "That's ugly! I don't want to do that." This is from a girl who has struggled with handwriting from the beginning. And I was switching her to cursive in hopes that she would find it easier and more enjoyable. Someone on here recommended Pictures in Cursive. So I looked at and decided to order it. She wanted to write "pretty" and this looked like it would fit the bill. I started the Primer in June. She has already finished it and is part way through Book A. Yes, she finished quickly and some may take that as a waste. For me it is a great thing! She loves handwriting now. Cursive is one of her favorite things to do now and I don't mind paying that much if it helps her enjoy writing.

I have not ever ordered anything else from Queens but PIC has been a HUGE success here.