Menu

Starting WRTR with 1st grader - notebook ?s

krismoose

Hi, I've been reading threads about WRTR for the past day, and have read WRTR 4th once through so far, and I've read several parts a *few* times :lol:. I understand that my ds won't be making the 1st 7 pages of the notebook himself. I think I understand how I will teach him the words in the list, going over the markings and syllables as he writes them. (He can read at around 3rd grade level, but has only recently begun writing and doing spelling. He is currently learning the multiple sounds for the phonograms.) Do I complete the 7 pages ahead of time and go over everything with him before we start lists? (I'm copying pages with larger lines and the dashed middle line to use for the notbeook) Or do I have him watch as I complete them? And for the "er" page, do we go over each word as it's added, so the page takes several days to complete? When he writes words from the list, do we just start later in the notebook and use a page for each day of spelling work, writing new words, review words and sentences on each page? I hope those questions made sense ;) Thanks for your help:001_smile:

I've spent too long reading multiple Spalding S/Os and not enough doing. I no longer know who says to do what :-0

I'm still waiting for my SWR to come in so I can make my final decisions about what parts of which one I want to use. Online tracking says my package is in Florida since Monday :-0

So I'm listening to this thread rather than contributing.

I definately prefer WRTR handwriting, to all the others. That decision has been FIRMLY made!

I've spent too long reading multiple Spalding S/Os and not enough doing. I no longer know who says to do what :-0

I'm still waiting for my SWR to come in so I can make my final decisions about what parts of which one I want to use. Online tracking says my package is in Florida since Monday :-0

So I'm listening to this thread rather than contributing.

I definately prefer WRTR handwriting, to all the others. That decision has been FIRMLY made!

Just curious as to what you mean by WRTR handwriting?

ETA: Do you mean the method/style which is similarly taught by Cursive First, that many use with SWR?

Just curious as to what you mean by WRTR handwriting?

ETA: Do you mean the method/style which is similarly taught by Cursive First, that many use with SWR?

WRTR handwriting is different than SWR. SWR uses D'Nealian cursive. SWR starts all letters start on the line. WRTR cursive starts many letters at 2:00, and some at 10:00, and I'm not sure about 4 and 8. Some do start on the line.

Every WRTR letter follows a script EXACTLY. Once you memorize the script, you never need to LOOK at or TRACE the letter again. There is absolutely no inferring about how to draw a letter. The precise instructions explain EXACTLY how to draw a letter.

Scripts cannot be written to explain EXACTLY how to draw D'Nealian letters; so the student is forced to continue looking at and tracing the letters instead of just being verbally reminded of the script.

I have not used SmartWrite, since I started WRTR and don't need it. I'm able to practice my handwriting, just copying from any source. I haven't felt this much freedom since I cut my hair short enough not to be sitting on it anymore and trading in my dresses for a pair of pants :-) Good bye StartWrite!

No, they don't. The SWR Primary Logs do.

I was thinking Ellie said 1st graders don't keep a notebook? :confused: I could be wrong on that.

Thanks. Oh, and I see that 1st graders don't keep their own log, I wanted to fill out the rules pages for him. He likes rules, so I think this method will appeal to him. I borrowed SWR from a friend today and have been reading through that to compare, and WRTR seems simpler to me. There's too much on the pages in SWR for me, I think. :D

Spalding doesn't require children below third grade to keep a spelling notebook.

You write the rule pages on wall charts. :-)

Your dc may write his spelling words in a spelling notebook if he wishes to, but it is optional.

Spalding teaches connected writing. That is, once dc master manuscript, they learn how to connect "regular" manuscript letters using strokes. It's easy-peasy. ;-)

Letters that begin with circles start at 2 on the clock (a, c, d, f, g, o, qu, s). Most letters that begin with lines start at the top and go down.

The WRTR b, d and p are all started at different points to help avoid confusion. b is started with a circle at 8:00, d is started with a circle at 2:00 and p is started with the line first, then the circle. It's quite ingenious. There is no drawing of identicle circles followed by confusion of where to draw the line.

I've been sticking mostly to practicing the cursive, but every once in awhile play around with studying the manuscript letters.

I've really and only ever worked with SWR, but I have the 4th WRTR and recently did a little reading. FWIW, I'll share a few of my thoughts.

I understand that my ds won't be making the 1st 7 pages of the notebook himself.

I personally don't think that you need to wait until your dc is officially in 2nd grade to complete the first 7 (reference) pages in 1st grade notebook. I say that coming from SWR wherein the reference pages in the back of the Primary Learning Log (for grades K-2) are already set up, therefore, the student just has to fill in the content. Understanding that your 1st grader has really only begun writing and spelling, then I can see why you'd want to complete them for him.

Do I complete the 7 pages ahead of time and go over everything with him before we start lists? (I'm copying pages with larger lines and the dashed middle line to use for the notbeook) Or do I have him watch as I complete them?

Well, you could do both. At least, that's what I'd recommend. Have each completed page handy as a reference (on a separate notebook page or wall chart - if you prefer it), as you begin each page anew and go over everything with him... just as Emily suggested (you dictate the rule pages *exactly* as if he were doing the writing, but you write it... on a the notebook page or wall chart or whatever).

And for the "er" page, do we go over each word as it's added, so the page takes several days to complete?

I believe that you've got that right, but I'll let a veteran chime in on this one.

When he writes words from the list, do we just start later in the notebook and use a page for each day of spelling work, writing new words, review words and sentences on each page?

If I'm understanding the layout of WRTR correctly, I believe you will finish the first 7 pages of the notebook, or reference pages if you will, before moving on to the lists, so there will be no need to start later in the notebook?

Hold on. I just noticed that page 126 of WRTR 4th addresses notebooks for first graders and younger and for second graders. You may want to take a look for yourself, but here's a snippet.

First-grade and younger pupils first write the first thirty words of the lists in sections A-H, on separate sheets having 5/8-inch spaces between the lines. [yada, yada, yada]

Dictate these words again so that each pupil can write them neatly in his own spelling notebook beginning on its first page. The new words of each new lesson should then be put directly in his notebook.

I hope those questions made sense ;) Thanks for your help:001_smile:

I hope my answers make sense and are helpful, even though I'm an SWR user. If they don't and they're not, then consider this a friendly bump.

;)

I borrowed SWR from a friend today and have been reading through that to compare, and WRTR seems simpler to me. There's too much on the pages in SWR for me, I think. :D

That's funny, I was just thinking that SWR seems simpler to me. Hahaha! I suppose this just goes to show how people learn/teach similar methods differently, though both ways can work.

Melissa :001_smile:

WRTR handwriting is different than SWR. SWR uses D'Nealian cursive. SWR starts all letters start on the line. WRTR cursive starts many letters at 2:00, and some at 10:00, and I'm not sure about 4 and 8. Some do start on the line.

Every WRTR letter follows a script EXACTLY. Once you memorize the script, you never need to LOOK at or TRACE the letter again. There is absolutely no inferring about how to draw a letter. The precise instructions explain EXACTLY how to draw a letter.

Scripts cannot be written to explain EXACTLY how to draw D'Nealian letters; so the student is forced to continue looking at and tracing the letters instead of just being verbally reminded of the script.

I have not used SmartWrite, since I started WRTR and don't need it. I'm able to practice my handwriting, just copying from any source. I haven't felt this much freedom since I cut my hair short enough not to be sitting on it anymore and trading in my dresses for a pair of pants :-) Good bye StartWrite!

Hmmm, interesting. You've piqued my curiosity. Now I'm going to have to compare them (SWR, CF, and WRTR) for myself. :D

I attended a Spalding training course recently so I can tell you what we did in class.

K-2 students keep a notebook, but it is smaller and the lines are very wide ruled. Our trainer was adamant that we should not use practice paper with the dotted lines. The student needs to be able to find the midpoint on his own. Also, it is difficult to form letters to exactly touch the dotted middle line and the bottom line at the same time. Without the dotted line, they can focus better on making sure the letters sit nicely on the bottom line.

Spalding sells a composition book that is perfect for 1st grade. You don't write the rule pages in until 3rd grade when you use the larger notebook. For first grade, just discuss the rules as they come up. You can make posters or reference sheets if you want. I would recommend this for the five jobs of E especially, and the other rules that seem to come up the most.

A couple more things:

1. Only spelling words go in the notebook (other than the rule pages in the intermediate notebook). Sentences would be written on practice paper, the whiteboard, or put with their composition work.

2. The five spellings of er pages are dictated over a couple days. They are written in rows going across the page rather than in columns.

:001_smile:

The WRTR b, d and p are all started at different points to help avoid confusion. b is started with a circle at 8:00, d is started with a circle at 2:00 and p is started with the line first, then the circle. It's quite ingenious. There is no drawing of identicle circles followed by confusion of where to draw the line.

Well, more specifically, Spalding teaches that there are letters that begin with circles, and letters that begin with lines. "d" is a short letter with a tall part. It begins with a circle (the short part) and ends with a line (the tall part). "b" is a tall letter with a short part. It begins with a line (the tall part) and ends with a circle (the short part). "p" begins with a line and ends with a circle; the circle sits on the base line.

I've been sticking mostly to practicing the cursive, but every once in awhile play around with studying the manuscript letters.

For children, learning how to write the letters in manuscript is an integral part of the Spalding Method, as the specific instructions and directionality are completely connected to the sound that the letters (phonograms) make. They engage all learning modalities all at one time: auditory (hearing the sound), visual (seeing the sound), and kinesthetic (writing the sound).

SWR entered my state at 8:00 this morning. Hopefully I will be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. By tomorrow night I should have made my final choice of which program will be my main curriculum and then I will try and buckle down and DO, whichever one I pick FULLY and RIGHT. I'm anxious stop dabbling and to start mastering.

For better or worse I need to pick a partner. I intend to still flirt and cheat, but I need to commit to one partner as my main squeeze :-)

Spalding doesn't require children below third grade to keep a spelling notebook.

You write the rule pages on wall charts. :-)

Your dc may write his spelling words in a spelling notebook if he wishes to, but it is optional.

Yes, we just don't have the wall space for charts, so I thought we could refer to them in the notebook. Ds enjoys having a record of what he's done, so I think he'll like keeping a notebook.

A couple more things:

1. Only spelling words go in the notebook (other than the rule pages in the intermediate notebook). Sentences would be written on practice paper, the whiteboard, or put with their composition work.

2. The five spellings of er pages are dictated over a couple days. They are written in rows going across the page rather than in columns.

:001_smile:

Thanks for those details! Also, I did look at getting the Spalding K-2 notebook, but I think ds will be better off continuing to use the type of paper he's currently using for now (.5" with a dotted midline)...best not to change too many things at once ;).

I've really and only ever worked with SWR, but I have the 4th WRTR and recently did a little reading. FWIW, I'll share a few of my thoughts.

Thanks, CMama, those were indeed helpful comments :001_smile: I talked with a friend at dinner tonight who has used SWR for 5 years now, and i think I got a better picture of what the day-to-day teaching would look like. I can see how SWR would be easier to some because there are more details in the text. I think less is better for me right now... I'm excited to start!