Menu

Piano lessons questions

My son and daughter takes piano with a wonderful teacher from our church who teaches many homeschooled students during the day. She has a music degree from our best state university.

My daughter is beginning her 6th year with her. She is halfway though John Thompson 2nd grade (has been a bit easy but I asked for John Thompson), and halfway through Masterworks Classics 4. She also plays a few worship songs with chords (wants to be well-rounded and they sound lovely). They love piano and want to progress but I don't know how to lead them.

My question is how has she progressed for 5 years of piano? I'm just not sure? It seems like she could be challenged more but I don't know. She practices for an hour a day, and her brother is beginning to as well.

We looked up a studio online that prepares students for local and state contests and their video pieces online were amazing. It is too far of a drive for us though. Are there contests she can prep for that her teacher doesn't have to be a member of?

Thanks for any advice.

I guess that depends on your area. My dd does solo, hymn, romantic, and duet festivals. She also attends the LSU Piano Rally. These are offered in our area. This is her third year playing now and she just started book 3B of the Faber Piano Adventures. She's had a duet partner since last year. That's a big step for many players...it can be difficult to work with someone else, but her teacher is great at matching students with similar abilities and attitudes. Her teacher also hosts a recital at the end of the year for the family and friends.

Your teacher should be a member of some professional music teachers association. The music association normally coordinates all the different festivals.

• 2 weeks later...

She doesn't want to become a member of professional organizations or enter her students in contests. She suggested we finish out the year and then look for another teacher if that is the road we want to pursue.

Do most people only take from teacher's who are members of professional organizations? Even if they have a degree in music? I'm confused...

I hate to switch but I would like them to be stretched and progress to their highest capabilities...

Do most people only take from teacher's who are members of professional organizations? Even if they have a degree in music? I'm confused...

It depends on what your goals are in having your children learn piano. Some (like me) are interested in an ability to read music and an enjoyment in music. To that end, membership in a professional organization is not necessary. It sounds like your current teacher is in that category as well.

Others, however, ARE interested in the aspect of piano that includes professional organizations and competition. If you think you are leaning toward this, it sounds like you'll need to look for a different teacher.

Either approach is fine, it just depends on what you want to get out of it.

It depends on what your goals are in having your children learn piano. Some (like me) are interested in an ability to read music and an enjoyment in music. To that end, membership in a professional organization is not necessary. It sounds like your current teacher is in that category as well.

Others, however, ARE interested in the aspect of piano that includes professional organizations and competition. If you think you are leaning toward this, it sounds like you'll need to look for a different teacher.

Either approach is fine, it just depends on what you want to get out of it.

:iagree:

This would be me, as well. I teach my boys piano myself.

I talked to them about it today. They want something to work towards - a syllabus, a repertoire and competitions. Even though they love their current teacher... I never knew all this about piano. So much to learn...

Edited by LNC

It can be a valuable thing to do. We are switching teachers for the first time because our teacher retired. Ack!

She always had my elder son participate in many sort of outside activites such as 'monster concerts' and 'guild auditions' and 'piano festival'. All of these involved being a part of the larger organizations. Our former teacher placed a high value on such things because, as she said "Piano is a lonely instrument." You can't really pick it up and take it with you so many pianists don't ever get to hear other players etc. I think she is correct. And, FWIW, my son has really enjoyed working towards those goals. We also met lots of other people in the music community.

Now, some of the teachers we interviewed this summer participate and some do not. In the end we chose a teacher who is not involved directly but said he will get my son into a state competition, that it is a matter of paperwork. I appreciate that he took that interest seriously. I did NOT pick the teacher who told me that she is not involved in piano organizations because she had a hard enough time just organizing her students lessons. She couldn't manage to get them ready for a festival. That didn't exactly impress me. :001_huh:

Most people in our area don't even look for a degree in music, just someone who plays well and is willing to teach. Both of my brothers' wives teach piano, for instance. One has a degree in music, but not in piano. The other has a degree in special ed. (She's the better teacher, IMO, and my kids take from her.)

They both hold recitals, etc., usually either on their own, but sometimes through a local music store.

If a child shows a lot of interest and ability, then his or her parents will probably seek out a more "qualified" teacher. It's quite rare, on the whole, here, to look for that level.