Menu

Dangers of Prilosec, now Upper GI?

Guest lahmeh

So I went to a new cardiologist yesterday and he tells me that the Prilosec I've been taking daily for 8 years is not a good idea and that I should try to get off of it. After doing a bit of research I found out it could be VERY dangerous. :sad: My old cardiologist is the one who prescribed it and never mentioned a word of this! :angry: If I don't take it even water gives me massive heartburn. I've scheduled an appt. to see my gastroenterologist and hopefully get an upper GI to find out what is causing this. Has anyone had this done? Was it no biggie (I hope)?

Edited by lahmeh

Go to a pharmacy and talk to a pharmacist. They know much more about medications than doctors...they have doctorates in pharmacology. Doctors have a few classes in pharmacology. Tell the RPh about your condition and ask them what they would suggest talking about to your doc.

So I went to a new cardiologist yesterday and he tells me that the Prilosec I've been taking daily for 8 years is not a good idea and that I should try to get off of it. After doing a bit of research I found out it could be VERY dangerous. :sad: My old cardiologist is the one who prescribed it and never mentioned a word of this! :angry: If I don't take it even water gives me massive heartburn. I've scheduled an appt. to see my gastroenterologist and hopefully get an upper GI to find out what is causing this. Has anyone had this done? Was it no biggie (I hope)?

The news about the danger of Prilosec is quite new--just came out during the last year. Prescription strength Pepcid is almost as effective, and they don't think that it has the same problems.

Can you elaborate on what the dangers of Prilosec are? I know that it can affect bone density. Is there more?

My son took it for several years, but his doctor recently switched him to a different medicine. He was sort of mum when I asked him why. My son has severe GERD and Barrett's Esophagus.

Sometimes the side effects are worse then the ailment itself. I know many people who have been on Prilosec(even elderly) with no issues long term. The fact is, all of a sudden that have come out with "possibility of increased stomach cancer, but studies done in rats were not conclusive"

Okay, so why bother mentioning it?

The fact is, every medication may have some long term reprocussions. But you also have to weigh the benefits over the risks. Especially based on the "what if's"

BTW, I am on Prilosec(Omeprezole) myself. Without it, I am miserable. At some point I am going to slowly wean off. But if I can't I would rather live a life of a pain free stomach then worry about the what if's. Which may never happen.