Menu

John Hopkins Programs

I have not used the John Hopkins program - but I have used the EPGY program for math. It is the same distant learning program that John Hopkins uses and it is cheaper. Also for EPGY you just have to submit scores of a test you child has all ready take to qualify. For the John Hopkins they have to take the Talent Search test.

We were thinking about doing some of the classes at John Hopkins this summer, but it was very $$$. Also my ds does not do great on standard tests, but tested as gifted with the WISC IV.

We use EPGY for math and it has been so great for our ds! We're taking off a couple of weeks to focus on "times tables boot camp" because he's gotten to the point where he would go soooo much faster if he knew them instantly. I say that because he's really missing that daily math time... loves it!

My dh and his sister both did CTY summer residential programs as kids, and it is one of their best memories. Dh actually went back and worked as a counsellor at CTY for two years in college. So we'll probably send our kids there!

I've been trying to decide whether it's worth it at this time to take their test. I wish there was some way to see what sort of test it is... can't find any info online.

EPGY is a distance-learning program offered through Stanford university. They offer classes from K to post-graduate level (post COLLEGE graduate level, that is). You must apply and submit testing. It is kind of expensive (IMHO), but the financial aid is generous and easy to get. We love the math program, and started it after reading rave reviews on the old board. Check it out at:

http://epgy.stanford.edu/

Application Admission Requirements to EPGY

Students must demonstrate a high degree of mathematical or verbal ability (depending on the courses they are applying for) on the basis of standardized testing. All standardized tests must have been taken within two years of the date of the application. Achievement and aptitude tests other than those specifically listed below may be accepted as qualifying tests pending approval of the EPGY Admissions Committee. (A guide to the abbreviations used here for the names of standardized tests is provided at the end.)

Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Music

• Students age 6 or younger. If available, a psychologist's evaluation from any of the following tests: Stanford-Binet, WISC, WPPSI-R, or Woodcock-Johnson.
  • Students age 7-8. The EPGY Mathematical Aptitude Test; if available, a score report or psychologist's evaluation from any of the following tests: CAT-5, CTBS/4, CTP-III, ERB, ITBS, MAT-7, OLSAT, PLUS, SAT-8, SAT-9, WISC, SCAT, or Woodcock-Johnson.
  • Students age 9-12. The EPGY Mathematical Aptitude Test; if available, a score report or psychologist's evaluation from any of the following tests: CAT-5, CTBS/4, CTP-III, ERB, ITBS, MAT-7, OLSAT, PLUS, SAT-8, SAT-9, WISC, SCAT, or Woodcock-Johnson.
  • Students age 13-14. For 13 year olds only, the EPGY Mathematical Aptitude Test. For both ages, if available, a score report from any of the following tests: CAT-5, CTBS/4, CTP-III, ERB, ITBS, MAT-7, OLSAT, PLUS, SCAT, SAT-8, SAT-9.
  • Students age 14 and above A score report from either the PSAT or SAT.

Additionally, students applying to advanced AP and university-level courses in mathematics may submit the results of the AB or BC Calculus, or Physics B or C AP tests, or equally relevant material for admission to the program.

English

• Students age 8 or younger. Admission is granted for this age group into the writing program only in rare cases, by special consent of the English program. The student must also submit the materials listed below for students age 9-12.
  • Students age 9-12. A score report from any of the following tests: CAT-5, CTBS/4, CTP-III, MAT-7, OLSAT, PLUS, PSAT, SAT, SAT-8, SAT-9.
  • Students age 13-14. A score report from any of the following tests: CAT-5, CTBS/4, CTP-III, MAT-7, OLSAT, PLUS, PSAT, SAT, SAT-8, SAT-9.
  • Students age 15 and above. A score report from the PSAT or SAT.

It doesn't seem to list specific scores, but I would guess the cutoff is similar to an ordinary gifted program? You may be surprised... I had no idea how math my ds was until he started EPGY and really moved at his own pace.