Menu

Anyone using SOTW 1 for 5th gr, any suggestions for beefing it up?

hi, my son is coming out of ps so he's never read SOTW 1, although he knows quite a bit about the ancients because I've been reading aloud CHOW to him this year. Should we start with volume 1 at this stage and have you any suggestions on beefing it up? I read some people here said that it is babyish for logic stage kids, my son is a great reader and enjoys history and stories in any shape or form. I don't think he's interested in the coloring, basic map work activities in the AG, though.

Thanks.

I don't think you'd need the activity guide for him, but if you have TWTM book it tells you how to use SOTW 1 for 5th grade. Your binder will have 10 different tabs including lists, people, battles, etc. and as you cover each chapter he will read, take notes, and file pages in the binder. Some days he can note-take, some days he can outline, other days he can make a summary (2-3 paragraph). Map work and timlines are on the schedule as well, and though he doesn't have to color the map he should go find the region. My 4th grader LOVED the ancients last year and thought the stories were really neat. We're moving on to SOTW 2 but I'm not including my 5th grader in the Activity Guide... there's more stuff for him to do.

I will be doing volume 1 with a 6th, 4th and 3rd grader. We're going to do the first few chapters to see what we think, then I will adjust with supplements.

There's lots of great suggestions and activities in the activity book. We'll probably skip the coloring pages, but do most everything else.

I don't think you'd need the activity guide for him, but if you have TWTM book it tells you how to use SOTW 1 for 5th grade. Your binder will have 10 different tabs including lists, people, battles, etc. and as you cover each chapter he will read, take notes, and file pages in the binder. Some days he can note-take, some days he can outline, other days he can make a summary (2-3 paragraph). Map work and timlines are on the schedule as well, and though he doesn't have to color the map he should go find the region. My 4th grader LOVED the ancients last year and thought the stories were really neat. We're moving on to SOTW 2 but I'm not including my 5th grader in the Activity Guide... there's more stuff for him to do.

It does??? I had no idea!!!

Uh oh..... must hit the amazon again. MWAHAHAHAAAAAA!

I used it for my 5th grader last year. We did the map activities, timeline stuff, and added in documentaries and extra reading from the library and from the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. I would have him read a chapter in a book, or a few pages in Kingfisher, and write down 5 facts he learned. Between that and the historical fiction and the projects in the AG and the SOTW itself we really covered a lot.

Yes I think you're in a perfect position. We're off cycle which makes it more difficult to follow WTM (doing SOTW3 with a 5th grader). Use SWB's reading lists for Ancients logic stage to beef it up rather that the activity guides reading lists. They are right in the WTM!

DS is reading supplements from 2 encyclopedias, doing his own timeline, learning locations, writing important facts and writing narrations from his readings all on his own (I hope) this year in addition to SOTW3. I don't think it's babyish...I enjoy it and learn from it so certainly a 5th grader can learn from it. I actually regret picking up the encyclopedias...there's plenty of real additional reading out there you can do.

Brownie