Menu

They want to quit music lessons

My ds 10 (11 next month) has decided after 2 years, he longer wants to continue drum lessons. While I have seen that he has no real passion for it, he does have a natural talent.

My ds 8 has also decided that after 2 years of piano, he too does not want to continue. He does not enjoy learning the lesson or practicing, but once he can play the song, a big smile goes on his face.

I am mixed because while I want them to take music lessons, I also want them to have a say, considering they are getting older. The whole lesson of not quitting has been learned, so I'm not sure if I should make them continue or not.:confused:

Any suggestions?

Not too long ago--2 years maybe--I posted something similar on this board, when dd was saying she wanted to bury her violin in the backyard. Now she is preparing to audition to colleges for music therapy. ;)

I'd try to hang in there a little longer, especially if you see talent.

My ds 10 (11 next month) has decided after 2 years, he longer wants to continue drum lessons. While I have seen that he has no real passion for it, he does have a natural talent.

My ds 8 has also decided that after 2 years of piano, he too does not want to continue. He does not enjoy learning the lesson or practicing, but once he can play the song, a big smile goes on his face.

I am mixed because while I want them to take music lessons, I also want them to have a say, considering they are getting older. The whole lesson of not quitting has been learned, so I'm not sure if I should make them continue or not.:confused:

Any suggestions?

I would not let them quit.

My ds11 has gone through periods of HATING his piano lessons. Right now he is really enjoying it...especially after attending a local day camp 'school of rock' for a week this summer.